1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Post-Processing Challenge #364 - Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Hendrik, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    In more stable times, my wife and I made a trip to Turkey to visit with our youngest, who, at the time, was studying there. It was the modern age, though. He hadn’t been there that long but he had an ace up his sleeve. His girlfriend, who was back in the States, is an Istanbul native and could give instant advice on what to do and where to go via the magic of text messaging. One evening, no doubt on advice, he took us to Istiklal, a very long, downtown pedestrian mall. The trolley runs between the funicular that goes down to the harbor, with its ferry terminals and all, and Taksin square which enjoys some notoriety from demonstrations against a land grab. I’m interested what you folk will do with this quick grab. Just saying, but my guess is that using the OV3-generated jpeg will be a tough row to hoe.

_HFB6870display.
    E-M5    OLYMPUS M.12-40mm F2.8    17mm    f/4.0    1/160s    ISO 1600

The raw file may be found here

The jpeg may be found here

This challenge will be open until 10:00pm, Thursday January 11.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries. The master may provide multiple images for challenges involving blending procedures common to most software packages (e.g., HDR, Panorama). In order to encourage the widest participation, and being mindful of the wide range of software being used by forum members, it is asked that challenges requiring compositing be set in a separate thread.
    Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:
    The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

2. Tram.

• Like Like x 5
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. relic

relic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    Used RAW file. I "fixed" it as I would do normally using Elements 14. I used Perfect Effects 10 for a little Dynamic Contrast and vignetting (nothing creative).

_HFB6870dc2L.

I added a 2nd attempt. Also used RAW file and tried "fake" HDR by saving 3 versions from the RAW converter with expsoures of +1.90, 2.90 (used in 1st image above), and 3.90. I blended them in Elements, and processed as before. I think I straightened this one a little better.

HDR_L.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  4. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    _HFB6870_01A.
    E-M5    ---    17mm    f/4.0    1/160s    ISO 1600

DxO Photolab and some minor massaging in GIMP (color, local contrast)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    EBEC3B1C-8B80-4150-B22F-D826B63DD516.
    If back to the future was made in Romania on a very small budget.

• Like Like x 3
  6. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    OK, I decided to take the JPEG Challenge. It was about as ugly as you might imagine. I started with Snapseed on my iPad, which yielded this blotchy mess:
    SnapseedA.

Not satisfied, I then sent it to my PC and did some work in GIMP and eventually arrived at this very-slightly-less-blotchy mess:
    istanbul.

I agree with Hendrik. . . I don't recommend starting from the JPEG.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    out of time...

c364-Edit.

• Like Like x 7
  8. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    Jerry
    _HFB6870-PLR-PTPE-FB.
    E-M5    ---    17mm    f/4.0    1/160s    ISO Array

• Like Like x 3
  9. 4271BF8C-575D-4726-B9EC-59B59FCA2F29.
    Raw file processed in Snapseed on iPad.

• Like Like x 4
  10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Just wanted to through one in the ring as i haven't done a challenge for a while.... looks like i've done similar to others.
    Largely just corrected exposure in ACR and a simple crop, straighten and frame in PS2018cc.
    _HFB6870.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Entry #2.

Tram2.
    E-M5    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm F2.8 Pro    17mm    f/4.0    1/160s    ISO 1600

• Like Like x 3
  12. magister

magister Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Tuscany- Italy
    Adolfo
    I used DXO photolab. First intervention on horizon and framing, then local regulations to highlight or attenuate some features, in particular for shop windows and bright festoons. _HFB6870_preview_DxO.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kennikins

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    Nice job.

14. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    Hinckley, Leicestershire, UK
    David
    All in LR Classic. I started by levelling and cropping and then tried to get the remaining burnt highlights under control before adjusting the colour temperature to what I imagined night time in Turkey might have looked like. I finished off with a light grad filter across the sky and a bit of gentle brushwork to enhance some shadow areas and reflections without going over the top. I finished with fairly substantial noise reduction.

Turkey Tram 10-01-2018 23-18-28.
    Original at Flickr

I thought a tighter crop might work too but there was too much noise to go in very far:

Turkey tram crop 10-01-2018 23-16-50.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  15. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    Jerry
    _HFB6870-PLR-AFP-TPZ-FB.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    This is the twelve hour warning. It's been a lively challenge so far! Still plenty of time...

17. Kennikins

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    E89198A6-9C65-4AFA-A6C4-1D0F04D4CAC2.
    Funky time! Done in prisma

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    The challenge is closed. Thank you all for your entries. Sleep first, judging tomorrow.

19. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Good job, all! Tough image, my bad. Heartfelt apologies for offering a poster child for eschewing jpg. One never knows when one's brain is going to take a vacation and underexpose a meaningful photo by the critical amount, do one? Here are my short takes, in order of first entry.

@Zeus1@Zeus1 First entry: As with most of the rest, the lightening places this earlier in the evening and the shadows on the pavement go unexplained. Portrait crop, featuring the tram, balance provided by flanking it with two female figures headed identically.
    Second entry: Heavily cropped down to essentials, and the processing, giving approximately a pencil and watercolor effect, is effective and removes all concern about noise. The sky is darkened and desaturated, but the desaturation calls attention to itself.

@relic@relic First entry: No crop or straightening. The exposure has been well chosen to leave a little black clipping. This would certainly be my immediate move.
    Second entry: Slightly straightened, ergo a slight crop. Exposure adjusted further up, which removes all black clipping but makes noise more apparent. The tram front has become desaturated thereby. The sky and scene don’t balance well to my eyes.

@WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR First entry: From the ORF. There’s judicious clipping on both ends of the exposure - I think it threads the needle just about as well as can be done but, to me, the sky is still a bit too bright. Straightened and almost my preferred crop, but with one extra cellphone. Great job mitigating noise and retaining detail.
    Second entry: Please join me in a hearty round of thanks to Lyle for taking the bullet for us all by accepting the jpg challenge. Doughty fellow!

@Kennikins@Kennikins First entry: Mr. Schlumpf takes a star turn. Give that man a round of applause. Fun
    Second entry: Another lively and whimsical interpretive version. Equally fun.

@protapic@protapic A toned monochrome with a negative vignette. The noise goes to grain nicely in the denser parts of the image but reveals sensor banding in the vignette.

@JLGF1@JLGF1 First entry: No crop, rotation. A black and white with nice tonal range. Unfortunately, I think the image, as a whole, is compositionally unsuited for black and white.
    Second entry: No crop, rotation. This is a fantastical version with attenuated detail and colorful brushwork overlay.

@Robert Watcher@Robert Watcher: Very dramatic. The effective crop and slightly desaturated, gritty treatment change the meaning of the image substantially. Embrace the noise!

@AussiePhil@AussiePhil: A very clean rendition. I like the crop on the left, too - the two edge figures headed in opposite directions are an effective framing device, all on their own. Sky is bright for my taste.

@magister@magister: Dramatic, quite contrasty, but, to my eyes, suffering from excessive color noise. From the jpg?

@dlpruk@dlpruk First entry: Cropped and straightened. This is characterized by heavy noise reduction and the attendant softening of detail.
    Second entry: Heavy crop featuring the slice-of-life gaggle just ahead of the tram. Makes the problems inherent in the original capture even more apparent.

Rankings are tough. The three that really engaged my attention are related only by the base image. Today’s ranking, which probably has a great deal to do with what I ate for breakfast, is:

Second runner-up: @Robert Watcher@Robert Watcher

First runner-up: @Zeus1@Zeus1, second entry

Winner: @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR, first entry

• Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Thanks, @Hendrik@Hendrik . I enjoyed the challenge, I appreciate the win, and I would host the next challenge if I could . . .

But I have a problem. It is probably technologically impossible for me to conduct the next challenge. I will be leaving on Sunday, and flying most of the next day. I'll then board a cruise ship, where I expect internet speeds approaching that of a 1200 baud dial-up modem (if I'm lucky) over the shared satellite system on-board.

So I am hoping either @Zeus1@Zeus1 (or, if necessary, @Robert Watcher@Robert Watcher) can take over the next challenge. I know Zeus1 ran the last challenge during a time that was difficult for him, so I am disappointed about not being able to do this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.