Post-Processing Challenge #358 - Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Hendrik, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Back at the Topsfield (Mass.) Fair, some of the street entertainment. Where can you go with this one? Strut your stuff!

_HFB5732display.

Orf file here
    OV-3 generated jpg here

The challenge will end at 10pm EST (Boston), Tuesday, December 5.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries. The master may provide multiple images for challenges involving blending procedures common to most software packages (e.g., HDR, Panorama). In order to encourage the widest participation, and being mindful of the wide range of software being used by forum members, it is asked that challenges requiring compositing be set in a separate thread.
    Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:
    The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

The .ORF link is for a different photo.

Brian

3. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Thanks. Not one, but both. Fixed now.

4. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    yeeha.
    Ok so lots of colour tweaking in lightroom some define 2 and selective lightening of shaded areas in photoshop. Lightroom sharpening mask tool for outlines only (press the alt key to view and refine mask). Just did not like the legs and boots so a pretty severe crop (sorry!)

• Like Like x 1
  5. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Ime afraid i butchered it a lot, as the cowboy was the main subject i felt there where too many distractions, mainly crop, bit of cloning.

_HFB5732.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Cowboy2.
    Created 2 images in DxO for foreground and background, emphasizing and changing the exposure on various areas.

Switched to Gimp. Rebuilt the background -- removed table, chairs, sign, cowboy and added focus blur. Composited in the cowboy. Final exposure tweaks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    One day left. Keep 'em coming...

8. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Twelve hours...

9. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    My attempt: I did not crop anything out as I thought the background provided context, and I liked the reflections in the glass, the colorful flowers, etc.

_HFB5732dL.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Starfungi

Starfungi Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 28, 2017
    Wollongong NSW Australia
    Brian
    On holiday a quick edit, Layers selection, spin blur. PS
    lassospin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Time's up! Sleep beckons. Results tomorrow.

12. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Two years ago my wife and I accompanied another couple to the Topsfield Fair. I went street mode and took only an E-M5 II mounted with the O45. As we were ambling toward lunch, with me in the rear (as usual), I noticed this scene in back of me and, to get this image and one or two more, I had to hang back and became temporarily detached from the others. NBD, but it speaks to why I didn’t deploy the foot zoom. As it turns out, I was rather happy with the elements that were thus included. The performer is wonderfully cartoonish with the rodeo shirt, way too large gloves, the badges and humongous belt buckle, the hat out of proportion to the head but well judged against the outsized ‘boots’ along with the chaps obscuring the stilts. I’m of several minds about the image and many of these are on display in some response or other. Is the image a portrait or an environmental portrait? He was, after all, a walking photo-op. If it’s a straight portrait, then the background adds clutter and detracts somewhat from the figure. The illumination from the rear of the subject is also disadvantageous but not necessarily fatal. In a perfect world I would have wanted to see the full length of his shadow along with those of the group of iPhonistas just out of frame for whom he was gesturing, to emphasize the height he achieved with the stilts. Without people walking between. Maybe in another galaxy, far, far away.

Anyway, all great efforts and here are my first thoughts.

@Brian Beezley@Brian Beezley (still posted as of the closure but since deleted) Environmental portrait. Cogent crop kept the story’s salient details, good exposure adjustment though slightly darker than the rest. If I had ended up judging on crop alone, this would have been the winner.

@Kennikins@Kennikins In this version, we are not asked to consider the performer as a whole but, instead are directed to the face – kind of a portrait. Cropped to landscape, losing the feet (and the sense of being on stilts). For me, this removes much of the dada element. Some vivid color adjustments but the different colors on the clapboard wall in back is distracting.

@panamike@panamike Cropped to nearly a straight portrait. He stands at the left third. Coherent and vivid color with good shadow recovery, particularly the face.

@WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR This already has the audience prize, congratulations! But, like, Wow! The deemphasized background makes this close to a straight portrait despite the minimal crop. Wonderful compositing job, probably the truest color of the bunch. Good job losing the table and chairs.

@relic@relic No crop. Environmental portrait/landscape mashup. Major warming of color, on towards golden hour, but coherent and vivid. The face is nicely emphasized. You mention retaining context - I don’t disagree.

@Starfungi@Starfungi Another wow! No crop, but subject separation is brilliantly achieved and the circular blur draws our eyes to his gesture. Essentially a portrait.

OK, I’m still no closer to a decision, time to exercise and empty the brain - - - - Five hours later, I'm exhausted and aching. As it turns out, I came down largely on the side of "cartoon".
    Thanks to all who joined the fun. As always, I learned a lot more about my own image than I thought was there.

second runner-up @relic@relic

first runner-up @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR

winner @panamike@panamike

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Thanks will look for something (not birds i hope:biggrin:) for the next challenge.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Many thanks, @Hendrik@Hendrik and congratulations to @panamike@panamike and @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR. I was pleasantly surprised to be picked 2nd runner up (I never win in these :) ). I thought that your comment about white balance was interesting, as what I did was use the eyedropper on the frieze above the entrance to try to correct the color temperature as I assumed that was supposed to be white :)

• Like Like x 1