Post-Processing Challenge #354 (closed, winners announced)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by WhidbeyLVR, Nov 11, 2017 at 6:26 PM.

1. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Little Fem Anna
    In the Lantana.

PA260731_01web. (Female Anna's Hummimgbird, Avila Beach, California)

RAW and JPEG image files are here.

This Challenge will close at the end of the day, Tuesday, November 14th, Seattle local time (PDT).

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
    1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
    2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
  3. Starfungi

Starfungi New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2017
    Wollongong NSW Australia
    Brian
    Close crop with Dfine2 and Sharpening and shadow adjustment. Healing Brush to remove highlights on berries. I cropped so I could emphasize the green on the head feathers. Green Feathers.

• Like Like x 7
  4. CD77

CD77 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Chris
    A great original photo... so much to work with.
    Lightroom using a couple of tweaked presets + some colour manipulation... and a crop. I'm liking its punchy colour, especially the greens picking out the light colouration in the plumage! PA260731-Edit-1.

• Like Like x 3
  5. rkaijus

rkaijus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Connecticut
    Ram
  6. CD77

CD77 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Chris
    Going to use both my entries in the space of a couple of hours.

A different crop from my original post plus some berry work and a little oil painting filter in photoshop...
    PA260731-Edit-Edit-2-Edit-1.

• Like Like x 3
  7. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    DXO first,exposure adjustment,took the micro contrast up, ACR crop, shadows and highlights, photoshop haze removal, blur tool on background to lower noise, less blur tool on front leaves to lower sharpness,a little unsharp mask.

PA260731_DxO.

• Like Like x 3
  8. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Still the same PP but a different crop to get in close, more blur on the front leaves in an attempt to pull the bird in front of them.

PA260731_DxO2.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    challenge 354-354.
    My main objective here was to strike a good balance between the bird and the plant; it was very tough to get the crop I wanted this is as close as I could get. I used define 2 and the Foliage filter from Colour Effex Pro 4 to bring up the green in the plant and the bird. I reduced the shadows a touch on the bird and desaturated the red parts on the plant, healed the berries.

• Like Like x 3
  10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    PA260731 WhidbeyLVR Annas Hummingbird.
    Processed in RawTherapee; .pp3 file available upon request.

• Like Like x 3
  11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    PA260731 WhidbeyLVR Annas Hummingbird Tonal Contrast.
    #2, RT + Nik

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. rkaijus

rkaijus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Connecticut
    Ram
    PA260731_01-03.

• Like Like x 3
  13. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    A little more than 24 hours remaining in this challenge. Lots of good entries so far, but plenty of time for more.

14. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    12 hours left. LAST CALL!

15. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    It seemed a bit dark to me and the bird had stiff competition from the sharp and contrasty detail in the leaves.
    General exposure tweaks in the basic panel.
    Adjustment brush on bird to lighten and sharpen, increased saturation to accentuate green highlights. Duplicated adjustment brush to increase effect.
    Adjustment brush on near leaves, stems and berries to soften and desaturate.
    HSL panel to intensify reds and yellows. The detail in the flowers is so soft to begin with and the color is so yummy, why not!
    Crop to put the bird's eye at a ~third.
    ACR all the way except for the crop in PS.

PA260731-1.

• Like Like x 2
  16. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    When I am shooting bright flowers, I tend to make a negative exposure adjustment of about a stop, because the color channels have a tendency saturate at full exposure. I have Exp-Adj on the front dial of my E-M5II, and I think I may have accidentally adjusted it even lower, because this image had -1.3 stops of adjustment. So those who used the raw file undoubtedly noticed it was dark. I brightened the JPEG I posted to give the folks who edit JPEGs a little more detail in the shadows.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Nice work all around! On my iPad, everything looked great . . . and similar. But when I looked at the entries on my desktop monitor, the differences became more readily apparent.

In general, I noticed a trend towards over-sharpening. I have to admit to a tendency to over-sharpen as well, so I know that temptation. But it was not always limited to just the hummingbird -- crunchy bokeh didn't appeal to me!

I enjoyed the punchy colors in most entries. I found the tight crops harder to love. As usual, it came down to which images kept attracting my eyes.

Honorable mention to @rkaijus@rkaijus for his B&W entry. I found it interesting, if not totally satisfying.

2nd Runner-Up is a tie between @Kennikins@Kennikins and @CD77@CD77 (second entry). Both had a conservative crop and punchy colors, with understated sharpening.

1st Runner-Up is @rloewy@rloewy with his art-filter version. This one worked for me!
    Winner is @barry13@barry13 (second entry). It just seemed simple, clean and easy to look at.
    'Grats to Barry! You're up next.

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  17. CD77

CD77 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Chris
    I'll take a joint 3rd! I've only just started using LR and PS so I'm quite chuffed. I thought I'd add this version as well just for fun, I went a bit further with the oil painting filter and couldn't recover it!
    PA260731-Edit-Edit-1.

• Like Like x 1
  18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry