Post-Processing Challenge #348 - Winner!

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by TNcasual, Oct 9, 2017.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Like always, I try to do different things. Here is my interpretation of a rose shot with Live Composite and my Leica Elmarit-R 28 2.8:

27053797641_80e9ac0dca_c.

Here is the orf.
    Here is the jpeg.

Let's see what others can do with the image.

This challenge will run until Thursday, October 12

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries. The master may provide multiple images for challenges involving blending procedures common to most software packages (e.g., HDR, Panorama). In order to encourage the widest participation, and being mindful of the wide range of software being used by forum members, it is asked that challenges requiring compositing be set in a separate thread.

Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.

Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.

At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.

The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:

The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.

"Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.

If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. danou75

danou75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Melbourne, VIC.
    Entry 1: IMG_1649.JPG E

• Like Like x 2
  3. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jpg processed on iPad with Snapseed app - resized with Image Resize app

FDC60E46-2CB5-4486-8E4E-A2BC86EA722A.

• Like Like x 2
  4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    P5190040.

• Like Like x 6
  5. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Some nice treatments already.

Some of my light trickery: This is the natural color of the flower:
    27050392576_79d9ed6662_c.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  6. danou75

danou75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Melbourne, VIC.
    Entry 2: IMG_1650.JPG

7. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

What a crazy light... Split tone rendering in ACR. Then two imports in PS: one with lowest clarity and one with highest clarity. Stacked the high clarity on top of the low and used masking to taste.

P5190040 copy.

• Like Like x 4
  8. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Great to be dragged away from my comfort zone!

All in LR: I started with two concentric radial filters to get the colour as I wanted it without aiming for realism and added some brushwork to adjust some local colours. I did a bit of cloning too to tidy-up.

Rose 1 11-10-2017 01-00-46.
    Original at Flickr

Then I converted to BW and brushed on some shades of red before finishing with another radial filter and some red channel adjustments to create a new variety I'm sure some plant breeders would like to launch!

Rose 2 11-10-2017 01-10-46.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  9. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    P5190040_01_2.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Get your entries in today. I will be making my decision this evening.

12. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Time to make my decision.

13. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I really like PP from @Robert Watcher@Robert Watcher, but I'm afraid I am not a fan of the crop.

I like the poem by @edmsnap@edmsnap . I also like the PP on the red rose.

In the end I had a hard time deciding between @Conrad@Conrad and @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR. Both brought something that was close to real life.

My winner is @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR. He was able to recover something in the blown out areas and the addition of grain made the image seem more film-like. I think that does the image justice.

Off to you @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR

Thanks to everyone for trying something with my craziness!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Thanks @TNcasual@TNcasual ! I enjoyed colorizing a B&W version of your image using the airbrush in GIMP -- kind of old school. Lots of good entries here, too!

I will try to get the next challenge up sometime tomorrow.

15. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle