Post-Processing Challenge #329 - Winner Announced

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by heli-mech, Jun 14, 2017.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Took this shot last year, we were visiting my wife's (that's her on the bench) home town shortly after her Mother passed away, and this was a place that had memories for her. I always meant to do something with this but never have, lets see what you can come up with.

Google Drive links:
    RAW: P8081211.ORF
    JPEG: P8081211.JPG

Dropbox:
    RAW: Dropbox - P8081211.ORF
    JPEG: Dropbox - P8081211.JPG

This will be open until 5:00pm Pacific Time Saturday the 17th.

p8081211_sml.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
    1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
    2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, theChallenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

A natural warm rendering, slightly low key. Entirely done in ACR, with smart sharpen in PS.

P8081211 copy.

• Like Like x 6
  3. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    P8081211a_SPD.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Wanted to capture the sense of being alone among memories.
    pp329_entry 1.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    P8081211 (7).

• Like Like x 3
  6. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    a 6x4 crop to keep a large part of the scenery as i felt that was important to the story but cropped a little to balance the scene. All the background and water is oil painted. I cloned out the pier stumps only with the aim to present a less distracting and more peaceful scene. oh and a straighten of the horizon/lake edge.... i seem to be getting a bit ocd on levels these days.
    P8081211.

• Like Like x 2
  7. danou75

danou75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Entry 1: IMG_0262.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    IMG_1441.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

IMG_2691. Jpg processed with Snapseed on iPad

(attachment has screenshot of steps in Snapseed)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Something simple...
    Preliminary work in ACR like straightening, cropping, improving lighting. Then, with the adjustment brush, enhanced the color balance of the area on the other side of the lake. In nik Color Efex, a touch of Pro Contrast over the lady and the lake. A simple border to finish it all.

Lake.

• Like Like x 1
  11. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Great submissions so far, one more day to go....

12. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    David
    Golden hour:
    Snapseed.

13. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    David
    Lamppost light:
    Snapseed.

14. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    Photoninja level adjustments, noise reduction and convert to B&W
    P8081211.

15. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I tried to bring out the tranquility in this scene and give space for the lady's thoughts; all in LR, a combination of curves adjustments and some local colour tweaks.

Memories 16-06-2017 17-47-56.
    Original at Flickr

This crop appealed to me too:

memories crop two 08-08-2016 09-00-03.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  16. danou75

danou75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    IMG_0272.JPG Entry 2.

17. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I think this one is deceptively tough, for me it was primarily crop and color tone that was the deciding factor. I think there were many good editing techniques used just some didn't match the subject as well as they might another.

Results first and then below if you want to know my (simple) thoughts is a short comment on each entry (hopefully I didn't miss anyone):

2nd Runner up: @Zeus1@Zeus1
    1st Runner up: @dlpruk@dlpruk (#1)

WINNER: @Scotsman@Scotsman - Entry #1 - You are up next

My quick thoughts on each:

@Conrad@Conrad : nice simple edit, liked it overall just think it could have used more of a crop at the bottom.

@spdavies@spdavies : liked the "pop" but their is some blurring around the bench that I just found noticeable enough to be distracting

@SVQuant@SVQuant : liked the idea but maybe if it was dialed back just a little

@rloewy@rloewy & @Gerard@Gerard : I like the idea of both effects but in this case the subject became unrecognizable to me

@AussiePhil@AussiePhil : nice job, I think the boat should be cropped or cloned out and the painting effect on the mountian is just a little to strong for me.

@danou75@danou75 : #1 -another one where I like the effect just not sure it is best for this subject/photo
    #2 - alot like TaoStory's were the tall crop with the low contrast mountian creates too much dead space for me​

@Robert Watcher@Robert Watcher : good, just a little too washed out in the background for me

@Zeus1@Zeus1 : Good overall, think the particular border choice didn't add anything and was a little distracting.

@Scotsman@Scotsman : #1: I like the crop and color choice. Only negative I could say would be the left side of the frame is a little too dark
    #2: I like this one also, critique would be to have brightened her face and hair a bit.
    @TaoStory@TaoStory : good job, think the cloning the floats out would help and the tall crop doesn't necessarily work well with the low contrast background.

@dlpruk@dlpruk : #1 - Liked it, the only distracting thing is the dock looks slanted (which it like is in real life), with the tight crop it stands out. (see Scotsman's entry and how darkening the lower section hides this slant well)
    #2 - I think with a crop this tight it needed a little more noise reduction or go B&W

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    And in keeping with the last couple challenges where the contest holder posted their attempt, here is mine entirely inspired by entries here, I liked the warm tone some used and the tighter bottom crop.

Developed RAW in Zoner Photo Studio (including straightening the horizon and dock) then brought into Affinity Photo. Created layer/masks of water, mountain and wife. Blurred mountain with lens blur filter, played with water color a bit and did a few local adjustments on the wife layer. Adjust color temp on whole image and well as a black and white color adjustment layer with blend on luminosity. (probably a few other things I am forgetting)

P8081211_aff_1500b.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    David
    Thank you, Andrew, and I agree with you about the left side of the frame being a little too dark.

I'm busy with Father's Day right now, so please give me till Monday to get something posted.

20. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    David
    Post Processing Challenge #330 is now open.