Post-Processing Challenge #318

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Hendrik, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    A few years ago, in happier times, my wife and I were privileged to spend some time visiting our son while he was studying in Turkey. While in Istanbul, a visit to the Grand Bazaar is de rigeur. The scene at a little cafe deep in the bowels of the market was interesting enough that I couldn’t resist. The portrait of the dapper gent on the wall is of the father of the “modern”, secular Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Lots of ways this one could go. Have fun.

_HFB6998-2.

orf - Dropbox - _HFB6998.ORF
    jpeg - Dropbox - _HFB6998.jpg

This challenge will close at 11:59 pm, Saturday, 22nd April 2017, EDST (UTC -5)

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.

Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of from 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.

Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.

At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and a Runner-up.

The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:

The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.

"Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.

If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the Runner-up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Interesting choice and timely at least for People on all sides remembering Anzac Day.
    I do say that in a positive way to be clear as a quick google search will reveal why.
    Cheers

3. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    I meant no offense in any direction.

4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Absolutely none taken nor should be taken. Ataturk is well respected by all sides in my opinion. It was just an interesting timely photo pick with rememberance ceremonies on April 25th.
    I'm honestly looking forward to working with the image and maybe people will also read some history :)
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Big Brother is watching You!

_HFB6998BW.

• Like Like x 4
  6. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Colour version, most changes done in ACR before final work in CS2017.
    I cropped out the security camera and vignetted to move the eye away from the man bottom right rather than purely crop him out.
    I resisted playing with the colour balance to much electing to stay with the earthy tones

_HFB6998.

• Like Like x 4
  9. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    BW from silver effects pro
    _HFB6998bw.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Entry #2:

Cafe.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Like Zeus1, I was attracted to the group by the table but I imagined some plotting!
    A combination of LR radial filters to reduce the clutter above and below the figures plus local colour and lighting adjustments gave this after finishing off with Sharpener Pro 3 and Define 2 to reduce the noise as best as I could:

Turkey 21-04-2017 14-30-58.
    Original at Flikr

But I think I prefer the b/w version, from Silver Efex Pro 2:

TurkeyBW 21-04-2017 14-34-39.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    ~25-hour warning. Let's see some more!

13. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Color
    _HFB6998Atiff.

Black and White
    _HFB6998BW.

• Like Like x 3
  14. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    Although I think Hendrik gives a clue to what he sees as important in the image by mentioning Ataturk, I thought the group of men were interesting so decided to concentrate on them.

1st Entry

All done in darktable :-
    Got the RAW stuff out of the way first - Base Curve for the camera, Crop to the gentlemens's area, Lens correction for keystoning, TCA, Demosaic, Raw Denoise, Denoise Profiled (one for Luminosity noise and another for Chroma noise)
    Deal with the shadows and highlights with Global Tonemap, Lowpass Filter, a bit of the shadows & highlights module but turned way down not to introduce unwanted halos
    Various Lowpass & Highpass filters for structure, detail, and edges
    Colour Correction and Split-toning to push the shadows into the blue and the highlights into the yellow/orange to give it a slightly more cinematic look - not too much though, and masked off the man's cap on the left and the condiments set so they didn't go yellow/orange.
    Equalizer module to bring out a bit more detail, and enhance a few more edges with various masks.
    Sharpen and resize to 1600px wide in 3 stages.

_HFB6998_01_01.

2nd Entry
    Adjusted Exposure, Tone Curve, and then played with the Monochrome and Channel Mixer modules until I got the balance of B&W I was looking for.
    Added a bit of local contrast.
    _HFB6998_01_01_01.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    The challenge is closed.

Thank you all. It's late enough and there's so little daylight between the various entries that I'll have to wait until my morning coffee to do the problem justice. Be back in a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Thank you all for your entries. Every one of them has challenged me to clarify my own feelings about this image, one I always include in my group of picks from that trip. Congratulations all aroundl

Savvy thought I might have tipped my hand in mentioning Ataturk and, in a sense, I did, but only partially. When I was there, sitting down to a turkish coffee and pastry, I was struck by the whole sense of difference from my normal. From the top, down, I appreciated the wonderful brickwork (a graceful counterpoint to rectilinearity - domes are the only practical brickwork ceilings, after all), high ceilings, the God beam from the window, the paired decorative/patriotic gestures of Ataturk and the star and crescent finial, the stalls modernized (note what is presumably refrigerant tubing snaking in through the window), all the circles and arcs (note the settee back mimicking the brickwork arch) and, finally, the people going about their business, shopping, eating, discussing, dreaming.

The major shortcomings of the image I see are the shadow noise, the somewhat intrusive, complex perspective distortion and the lens flare seen coincident with the gent at the table with his back to the camera. I freely admit that I am still generally inclined to overlook them all to one extent or another for one reason or another. On the other hand, almost to a man, you lot weren’t, so that’s how we’ll play the game.

The everyman group on the settee is nearly a constant (and clearly the crowd favorite). The only version in which they don’t appear, dbuckle’s second, is an inspired catch of three telling Turkish details: the brickwork, Ataturk and the star and crescent - well done, sir. Either as a component of a larger image or by itself, this group reads much better in black and white, thanks in part to the amelioration of the lens flare as well as the enhanced prominence of the pointing hand.

So, to cut to the chase:

Of the five crops isolating the group at the settee, I would choose dlpruk’s second entry. The exposure balances are good but I particularly like the way the crop intensifies the view by cutting into the flanking figures.

Of the four color entries, two (AussiePhil & WhidbeyLVR) preserve most of the scene. They have enough evenly counterbalanced virtues that, along with preferring the B&W versions in each instance, I am absolved from choosing. Whew! ;)

Of the eight monochrome entries the three that most engage me are:

Third place: dbuckle’s first entry.

Runner-up: WhidbeyLVR’s second entry

Winner: AussiePhil’s second entry. To my eye, just enough interest is retained at the top of the image to allow the eye to engage at will but not so much that the eye is drawn away from the lower half, where most of the human interest lies.

Again, my hearty thanks to all participants. Over to you Phil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
  18. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    With thanks to all once again, my current version: