Post-Processing Challenge #317 - Easter competition

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Zeus1, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Well, it is Easter, so...here are the bunnies!

P1060836_IJFR.

Let me be surprised, see what You can come up with: it is Easter!

This Challenge will close at the end of the day, Wednesday, April 19, 2017, around 1800 hrs GMT+1.

RAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vo3bdhtrn82219d/P1060836.RW2?dl=1
    JPG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd22k113rpsu4ti/P1060836.jpg?dl=1

Pseudo-legal bla-bla:
    72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules

1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
    2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    David
    I guess I'll lead off:
    Snapseed.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    I decided to isolate the nearest bunny, which ironically meant working on everything but that bunny. I used the jpeg image and worked in Hugin and Gimp w/plugins. In Hugin, I straightened up the architectural lines in the background and made the extreme crop. Then in Gimp, I applied a major DOF reduction (focus-blur with weird soap-bubble / donut bokeh).

For the color version, I cranked up the saturation and applied a subtle painting filter.

P1060836zA.

For the monochrome, I used NIK Silver Efex.

P1060836zB.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
  4. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I wanted a wider group so I asked another bunny along! Cropped, straightened, spotted and general colour and lighting adjustments in LR, plus a bit of brushwork to turn on some lights and to bring out some colour variations in the bronze (?) rabbits.

Bunnies 18-04-2017 17-06-18.
    Original at Flickr

Then over to Silver Eflex Pro 2 for a play - not really knowing what I was doing ... but I like the result!

BunniesBW 18-04-2017 17-04-51.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  7. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    David
    Deleted my 2nd entry. Prefer this, instead:
    Snapseed.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Easter it may be, but the cutouts in the building scream Hallowe'en to me. ;)

P1060836-1.

Photoshop all the way from the RW2.

Reduced exposure, adjusted WB and other balances in ACR.
    Flailed around in the dark looking for the light switch, finally found it hidden in a photo filter behind a mask.
    Did some colorizing to the bunnies with the same tool.
    Darkened the night sky with Levels and a mask.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Still a few hours left......
    I know, it's not the easiest photo to process in something creative....
    What about the Easter theme?

10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    P1060836 copy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. This competition is now closed.I understand that this was not the easiest picture to work with, but it was my only one with bunnies....
    I expected some interpretations with lots of chocolate eggs, unfortunately there were none. Perhaps this a cultural difference: in my country we give chocolate eggs to the kids for Easter, and it is the Easter Bunny that delivers them.

I see three categories of images
    - standard colored: winner: "WhidbeyLVR"
    - B/W: winner: "dlpruk"
    - fun interpretations: "dbuckle", "Hendrik" and "AussiePhil". Of these, I like Hendrik's night scene a bit more than the "drawing" of dbuckle

Overall first place, for me it's Hendrik. I like the coloring of this image a lot.

Over to You, Hendrik.

Again, TXS all for Your efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Many thanks, Zeus1, and thanks to everyone else who posted their efforts. It was a strong group.

I have an image in mind and will post later this evening.

13. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    PP Challenge #318 is up.