1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #281

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Scotsman, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Longhorns in NE Ohio!

I took this photo the other day with my, new to me, D750. I had to stick my 85mm lens through a small opening in the wire fence, so didn't have a lot of flexibility, as far as composing the shot. Challenging lighting and not yet being very proficient with the camera didn't help either.

Therefore, I'm looking to see what can be done, in post processing, to create an impactful image. What better place than with the experts here! Btw, I have not yet processed this photo myself. Hopefully, the fact this image is not taken with a Mu-43 camera is not a problem. If so, just let me know and I'll post something else.

Good luck everyone and have fun!

Longhorn JPEG.
    JPEG straight from the camera

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u18ppin82gp5rqf/Longhorn JPEG.jpg?dl=0(jpg)
    Dropbox - Longhorn RAW.psd(raw)

This Challenge will close Wednesday 10/19/16 at 11:00pm eastern time U.S.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
    1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
    2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and a Runner-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the Runner-up.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Longhorn Nik 1200.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Entry 1: Vertical crop with the horns marking the upper third of the image.
    PP281_Entry1.JPG

Entry 2: Same crop, with the old west look
    PP281_Entry2.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Preliminary work in Camera Raw (luminosity, white balance). Cropping in Photoshop, removing superfluous details in the background (cows, trees), Dynamic Contrast using nik Color Efex.

Longhorn.

Brought the first photo into Topaz Simplify, et voila!

Longhorn_drawing.

• Like Like x 3
  5. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Not a entry just a bit of fun. ime trying to get a entry but this struck me as a great subject for this while i was looking at it.

Longhorn RAW 1.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mgm1965

mgm1965 New to Mu-43

Sep 17, 2015
    Italy
    Marco
    Entry #1
    Longhorn JPEG-5.
    Worked with Smart Photo Editor on the Jpeg, enhanced: sky, grass and the subjet . Cropped to a close face to face with the Longhorn.

Entry #2
    Longhorn JPEG-3.
    Just used a filter...

• Like Like x 1
  8. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Just kept it simple this time; LRCC brushes gave this:
    Longhorn (1 of 1).
    Original at Flickr

And a mono version:
    LonghornMono (1 of 1).
    Original at Flickr

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Auto in camera raw,then a little tweaking of the sliders,a crop and canvass extended on the left as i felt it was turning to the left,curves adjustment and Nik output sharpener.

Longhorn RAW.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Entry one
    ppc281-1.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  13. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I couldn't resist the old west look as well
    ppc281-2.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Many interesting entries, thus far. However, there's still plenty of time to fix my badly composed and exposed image. Help!!

15. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    The Challenge is now closed. I will post results later today.

16. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Thank you everyone who took the time to enter. It wasn't the easiest image to process.

3rd place - SVQuant(2nd entry): I like the "old west" look and think it very appropriate for the subject.

2nd place - Zeus1(1st entry): nice work dealing with blown highlights and placement of the horizon.

Winner - panamike: very good job adjusting exposure and color, resulting in an image most like the scene in real life. I also like the placement of the Longhorn in the frame.

Post Processing Challenge #282 is in your hands, panamike!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Thanks a lot,will get onto it in the next few hours.