Post-Processing Challenge #280

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by torsteinh, Oct 12, 2016.

1. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    This time something a bit different. A view from below...
    (Actually , the image is taken on our way up from a dive in Boracay, Philippines)

P7010119.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!As1FZUcPRq7Mgu4P_GG815Aq6FWSQw (jpg)
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!As1FZUcPRq7Mgu4O08b_jhF9RxnZYg (raw)

For some reason you can see a bit of my underwater housing when I use the Pana 8mm. But in any case have fun and see what you can do with this one.

This Challenge will close at Saturday evening Central Eauopean time.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
    1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
    2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and a Runner-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the Runner-up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

3. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Initial basic work in ACR
    Then PS6, crop to 11x8.5, duplicate layer, invert one layer, do a reveal on the invert to make the boat and top red, flip image so diver is going down, sharpen and save
    PPC280%20-%20Dive%20the%20Magna.

• Like Like x 3
  4. mgm1965

mgm1965 New to Mu-43

Sep 17, 2015
    Italy
    Marco
    P7010119-1.

Image very challenging, I appreciated his development, but I am a beginner so ...
    This is my submission, hope to join regularly in this challenge, hoping to develop some skills!

Worked the RAW with 'Smart Photo Editor', the attempt was to achieve a "hard image"

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  5. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
  6. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    P7010119_01B.

Both versions done in Gimp after an export from DxO. Tried to increase the effective dynamic range and local detail (clarity) without increasing the noise to obnoxious levels. It was most difficult to minimize gradient banding in the deep water.

• Like Like x 4
  7. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Very challenging but here we go: cropped tightly and a few more bubbles cloned in to fill the space in LRCC; then upscaled by 400% with A Sharper Scaling that I've only just found:

Diver3.
    Original at Flickr

Diver4.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  8. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    dinner....

shark.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    Thank you all for your efforts so far.
    There is 3 1/2 more hours before contest closing, so if anyone still wanna have a go at it there is still time :)

11. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    OK, this is hard:

Brian Beezley: A good clean edit. Got the details in the wave ripples out great.

AussiePhil: That one was a bit scary to be honest - and a good idea. Btw, the Philippines is a vulcanic area, allthough I've never seen molten lava down there (I have seen gas gas bubbles coming up from the ground though)

Zeus1: I'm not sure who said it, but the idea was something like "if the colors don't adds anything - make it B/W". I think this photo is a good candifate for a B/W edit.

mgm1965: Wow - it seems like the banka is almost swallowed by the waves. I'll stay down a bit longer until it gets a bit mote quiet...

WhidbeyLVR 1 and 2: Another clean set of edits. Although the first one is probably closer to what it actually loks like going up, the second one is a bit more dramatic

dlpruk: A new perspective, getting up close to the diver, and rise with him. (which is how it really was. A fisheye really distort the reality)

protapic: We divers normally see sharks as a welcome addition to a dive - however getting a megalodon on my tail is not on the bucket list.

Scotsman: A mix of Stary night by Van Goch and Claude Monet. I think this one could be real nice printed on a canvas. And a winner in my view, partly because the color edits made it perfect on one of the walls in our living room;-)

So, You're next Scotsman!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Thank you very much, torsteinh. I agree with you about the quality of the entries. Picking a winner is always the most difficult part of hosting one of these Challenges.

I'll post something for the next one soon.