Post Processing Challenge #271

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by CrispyDuck, Aug 31, 2016.

1. CrispyDuck

CrispyDuck Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016
    Andy
    I took a ride on my motorbike to what we call "Sunny Hunny" (Hunstanton, UK). It's a somewhat tacky beach which inexplicably fills up with motorcycles on a Sunday so I thought I'd make the 2hr ride to meet people and get some snaps. Anyway, on this fine summer day I saw this interesting groyne and wondered over to see if I could get a good pic. On my way over a seagull kindly dropped a fresh one on my head. Furious I pressed the shutter, headed to the toilets and left dishevelled and pissed off.

Can you salvage my sh*tty day?

full?d=1472674833.

JPG: Dropbox - P7310174.JPG
    RAW: Dropbox - P7310174.ORF

The Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by XXXXX over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

---
    Contest will close on Saturday, September 3rd 2016 at 9PM GMT.

Have fun!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Quick masking (dont look too close). LR for initial edits (straighten, B&W etc). PS for pole removal and water blur

BbU2m2hh.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    P7310174_Aa.

P7310174_B.

DxO for exposure and sky recovery (HDR preset + ClearView), plus straighten and crop.

Gimp for tonal balance, detail enhancement, dodging and B/W conversion.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    something different, LR_NIK(ProContrastx4)+Photoshop(LensFlare)

C271.

• Like Like x 2
  7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Change your name from CrispyDuck to SplattyGull.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Entry #1 - square crop
    image.

• Like Like x 3
  9. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  10. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  11. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I decided I couldn't salvage your sh*tty day so I decided to revisit the scene much later in the day, almost at last light, and take a photo when there weren't any birds around to sh*t on my parade, so to speak.

P7310174.

Reduced exposure drastically, did a brush on the sky and darkened it even further until the boundary between sea and sky wasn't easily discernible (and avoided the horizon police in the process), plus put a brush on the foam highlights of the incoming waves to lift them slightly, selectively darkened the blues slightly, and finally shifted the white balance warmer to cloudy in order to give a bit of a moonlight feel to the mood. Used faces preset for sharpening and added a little noise reduction.

Not an entry—I won't host a competition.

• Like Like x 2
  13. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I couldn't decide if I wanted to go realistic with a bit of cloning in PSCC, a LRCC grad filter across the sky, radial filters on the breakwater to give a greater sense of distance and some adjustments to the greens and yellows ...
    Hunstanton.
    Original at Flickr

... or if this challenge was an excuse to play with LunaPic's take on Frida Kahlo:
    Hunstanton after Frida Kalho.
    Original at Flickr (There's a Kandinsky-ish version here too.)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Entry #2 - square crop w/exaggerated, high contrast color
    image.

15. CrispyDuck

CrispyDuck Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016
    Andy
    So many interesting directions taken, very tough to chose a winner. Honorable mentions to the b&w by dbuckle, the artistic approaches of Scotsman (#1) & siftu (v impressive) but my favourite has to be dlpruk (#1). Great colour and exposure adjustments.

Also well done to WhidbeyLVR for recreating that fateful day....

16. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Well I'm blowed! Thanks very much for the surprise.

I'll try to dig out something tomorrow.

17. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

#272 is now open; have fun!

18. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

As only two entries to #272 had been made before closing time, I'm extending that by 24 hours to 10am GMT on Friday.