1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #270

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by dlpruk, Aug 25, 2016.

1. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

This shot of Southwell Minster, the 'Cathedral of Nottinghamshire', doesn't do justice to it so see what you can do to make this local landmark pop.
    Southwell Minster.
    JPG: Dropbox - P1010550.JPG
    RAW: Dropbox - P1010550.RW2

The Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by XXXXX over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

---
    Contest will close on Monday August 29th, at 10AM GMT.

Have fun!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Not my scene at all,i shoot birds but i decided to have a go just for the fun of it and then i can compere my effort with other edits.

P1010550.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Welcome panamike and well-done spotting the deliberate mistake and for correcting it. Let's see how many do as well before revealing it and asking you to explain!

4. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Hope you dont want me to know what ime doing :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    For my second one i decided to take the first a little further after looking at it a few times.
    P1010550ce.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CrispyDuck

CrispyDuck Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016
    Andy
    • Like Like x 4
  7. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    image.

I had to work from the jpg as I can never get raw files to open through Dropbox on my iPad. It got a bit painterly towards the end but it's not surprising with how far I needed to push the shadows. I tried to roll with it...

8. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    a different take, solarization in NIK tools and LR

C270a.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I did this one with inputs from my 11yo budding photographer. ACDsee Pro 9 + Nik Tools.

Attempt #1:
    pp270_try1.JPG

Attempt #2:
    pp270_try2.JPG

10. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    First, I want to thank tkbsic for hosting Post Processing Challenge #269 for me. It is much appreciated.

1st entry:
    image.

• Like Like x 2
  11. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Some great entries already; well done everybody. Just a few hours to go if you want to make judging even more difficult.

12. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    2nd entry:
    image.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    2nd entry:

image.

14. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

This challenge is now closed; thanks very much for taking part.

I'll try to select the winner and runners-up later today.

15. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Congratulations to everybody who recognised that the main problem here was the clipped top of the RH tower, restored it and added a bit more headroom; I used PSCC's Image > Canvas Size to expand the photo and cloned-in as best I could to fill the blank space I'd created but I'd love to know how others did or would do it.

I thought panamike's second entry was the most successful in this respect so he is the winner, just ahead of CrispyDuck - another very welcome newcomer to these challenges - who is my first runner-up.

Among the artistic entries, I couldn't split protapic's solarisation and Scotsman's second entry so I turned to my artist wife for help rather than tossing a coin. She preferred the greater depth that protapic had retained, especially through the doorway, so he is my second runner-up.

Over to you panamike for #271!

• Like Like x 3
  16. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I'm sorry that panamike hasn't been able to suggest anything for #271 so I'm passing the baton to CrispyDuck, the runner-up. Hope you'll accept it!

17. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Sorry i missed out on your post,dont know how i managed it but thanks for choosing mine,look forward to a challenge from Crispyduck,i would have struggled to come up with something anyway.

18. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

No problem. I'm sure you'll be picked again soon so I'm looking forward to seeing what we've missed this time. (It doesn't have to be taken specially, although I deliberately clipped the shot of Southwell Minster when I was passing-by as I thought that 'error' might add to the fun.)

19. CrispyDuck

CrispyDuck Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016
    Andy
    I will post shortly :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. CrispyDuck

CrispyDuck Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016
    Andy