Post-Processing Challenge #264

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Brian Beezley, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

zzz.

This is the Euphoria Brass Band playing on the street in Oceanside, California, last August. My E-PL2 usually yields good color, but most of the people look sunburned in this shot. Things look washed out, too, and it's not very sharp. I'd like to see what you can do to make this image presentable.

Entrants may submit one or two images. I will name a winner and runner-up after the Challenge ends on Sunday, July 31, at 0300 UTC (11 pm ET). The winner will provide the image for the next challenge within two days. Otherwise, the runner-up takes over.

RAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kpr3gb171b6c1s/zzz.ORF?dl=1
    JPG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbpctzqpd2aod5m/zzz.jpg?dl=1

Brian

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The Pied Piper Gets Rhythm
    zzz_RPP_IN_NL_crop.

raw=>RPP (Kodachrome 64)=>Intensify (Pro Contrast 51%) =>Noiseless (Medium 50%)
    no local edits

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  4. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    Don't know if I fixed the color issue here...
    zzz.
    So, I include a B&W version here :)
    zzz-bw.
    Not sure what happened in the B&W version. Some weird artifacts in the bottom. Probably thanks to either Affinity Photo or Silver Efex Pro

5. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I felt that the original was over-exposed so I started in LRCC by re-setting the white and black points and adjusting the colour temperature and tint so that the skin tones looked right on my non-calibrated monitor. Then I switched to PSCC to clone some leaves into the burnt-out sky in the top-right corner before returning to LR to remove some skin blemishes, etc., and to adjust the colours, sharpness, exposure and contrast:

Band 1.
    Original at Flickr

Then, I liked the sousaphone player so much that I thought he was the real picture so I gave him a bit more attention with LR brushes:

Band 2.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  6. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015
    Post-Processing Challenge #264.
    This is a great image to play with - lots going on. I decided to give it a funky feel with the crop and gave it a desaturated grunge feel :-

• Like Like x 2
  7. alfogator

alfogator Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Firenze, Italy
    Alfonso Caschili
    zzz 1.

Mostly some burning and localized contrast work.

8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    What a fun little image to work on
    Colour and sharpness wasn't too hard, left the crop at 4x3 but cropped so the tuba and the drum were in opposite corners, then applied a tilt blur to focus on the diagonal composition.
    Cheers
    zzz.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
  10. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Very clever, Phil. If I recall correctly, I think you've done something similar in a previous Challenge.

11. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Winner: sesser B&W
    Runner-up: alfogator

It never occurred to me to use B&W to solve the color issue. I'm wondering now if everyone in the band was sunburned after all. The spectator on the left with sunglasses does not have a pink face. I don't see how my camera could yield decent color for him and mess up the others.

I'm still not entirely satisfied, but this is the best I've been able to do to remove the sunburned look:

Untitled

Thanks to everyone who entered. Over to sesser for the next Challenge.

Brian

12. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    Thanks @Brian Beezley@Brian Beezley! I will dig something up and post it in a bit. I find that B&W can solve a lot of issues with some photos.

Side note: I've spent a bit of time in San Marcos... Mostly at Stone and Lost Abby. :)

13. alfogator

alfogator Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Firenze, Italy
    Alfonso Caschili