Post-processing Challenge #261

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by protapic, Jul 14, 2016.

1. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    I was fortunate to have the opportunity to attend a conference in Les Diablerets Switzerland a couple of weeks ago, and the view from my hotel balcony was magnificent. For this challenge I am providing 3 sequential images each format (JPG, RAW and DNG-DNG in case your software of choice does not read panny GX85/80 RAW files yet). You can work on any individual file, or stitch them together for panorama (I tried with Lightroom and this should work). In hindsight, I should have done this in manual mode, not aperture priority....

only one image is shown below-go have some fun!

C261-JPEG.

All of the files can be found in a folder here:
    Dropbox - C261

The Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by XXXXX over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

---
    Contest will close on Monday July 18th, at 8AM EST.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    • Like Like x 3
  4. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I used PSCC to add a bit more sky over the mountains and to shift a few trees, then LRCC filters and local colour and lighting adjustments to give these:

Switzerland 1.
    Original at Flickr.

Then I thought the chalets needed more emphasis:

Switzerland 2.
    Original at Flickr.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    image.

image.

Not sure if these are permitted - processed and then developed in Prisma

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John

Permitted and welcomed! Very interesting IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
  8. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Thanks Vorlon1!

Lovely entries so far everyone!
    Reminder, contest ends tomorrow 8AM EST.

10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Nice shot mate! It seemed to be crying out for miniature treatment...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Well, it’s the part of the contest I like least, trying to choose just one winner. I found something to like in them all.

dlpruk-both of yours are just meant for postcards and story books, very lovely renditions
    ionian-these are so neat, I wanted to try this, and I went online to learn about Prisma (but was unable to find version to work on laptop)
    noseconds-very cool and works well, even though I did this type of effect for last contest I did not think of trying it for this photo
    TNArg-placed the emphasis on the big main feature of the landscape
    Klorenzo-best details on mountains and the waterfalls
    EdH-something about your first entry - the desaturated look, just draws me in, don’t know why…very cool.
    Brian Beezley-looks closest to what I saw with naked eye

My top two are ionian and dlpruk for very different reasons…very close...
    1st place Ionian
    2nd place dlpruk

@ionian@ionian - next one is yours!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Thanks @protapic@protapic ! I felt like a fraud, they are soooo simple to do (just a single button press) but very effective. If only the app would output pictures bigger than 1080px square, it would be more useful.

Some really nice other entries; this was a stunning photo to work with. I personally really like Ed's sepia image.

I'll nip out with the camera this evening (I think we might have a good sunset tonight) and post something up later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    @dlpruk@dlpruk - I'm not going to get a chance to take any new pictures, and I'd rather not post up an old jpg (I still don't have a PC at present so no point shooting raw for me). Can you do the next competition please?

14. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Sorry Ionian but I won't have any opportunity this week and I've nothing I'd be happy to post as a challenge either. But I loved T N Args' work on the mountain so I hope he can step in?

15. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

It's supposed to be a sub-par effort that we can have at to rescue... :biggrin:

16. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    dlpruk has asked me to have a go, so look out for #262

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Arg.

18. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran