Post-Processing Challenge #259

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by dlpruk, Jul 4, 2016.

1. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I'm standing-in for #258's winner and first runner-up because they both have problems at the moment, so I took a trip to my local supermarket after a rain shower this evening and hope you'll all enjoy playing with another hand-held stack as the last one was so popular:

Tesco002.

JPEGS:
    Dropbox - P1010473.JPG
    Dropbox - P1010474.JPG
    Dropbox - P1010475.JPG
    Dropbox - P1010476.JPG
    Dropbox - P1010477.JPG

RW2s:
    Dropbox - P1010473.RW2
    Dropbox - P1010474.RW2
    Dropbox - P1010475.RW2
    Dropbox - P1010476.RW2
    Dropbox - P1010477.RW2

(The P1010475s have 0EV adjustment, the others run from -2EV to +2EV so please stack whatever you want or just pick whichever starting point you fancy! And do please say what you chose!)

Hope you enjoy playing!

David

The Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by XXXXX over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

---
    Contest will close on Saturday, July 9th, at midnight BST.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  2. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    • Like Like x 1
  4. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
  5. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
  6. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Thanks everyone; good to see so many different takes on a supermarket car park!
    I thought every entry deserved a ranking but my top three were:
    • Second runner-up: Sesser, for finding so much drama in his b/w.
    • First runner-up: Scotsman for two more of his creative takes on what might appear to be a boring subject - I preferred the second.
    • Winner: A warm welcome to Ionian! I particularly liked the colour version, with its restrained sky and cleverly-handled floodlights (how did you do that?)
    For what it's worth, I tried to keep the sky tones and bright red sign as they were. Working from a RAW stack of the -2EV, -1Ev. 0Ev and +1EV in Lightroom with some filters and local adjustments gave me this, but I wish I'd been able to match Ionian's floodlights:
    Tesco compressed.
    Original at Flickr

Thanks again everyone; the baton has passed to Ionian for the next challenge.

David

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Thanks @dlpruk@dlpruk - I found it a tough photo to work with because the subject wasn't well defined, so positioning key elements in the image to make nice triangles was important.

The lights in the colour version were achieved by lowering clarity in the sky (I also used the same technique in the puddles) to make it feel like it was still raining. It adds a nice glow!

Edit- for your stack of images, to get the same effect you would need to manually blend the layers to keep the overexposed lights. I felt there was plenty of leeway in one single image - mine wasn't a stack, I just used the middle exposure.

I'll have a hunt for a picture I can use for the next competition.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  10. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Ionian. That gives me an idea for your #260.

I know roughly what I want to do to it but time and my inexperience may get in the way!

David