Post-Processing Challenge #258

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by NigelD, Jun 29, 2016.

1. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015
    We just got back from a holiday starting off in Rome, where I took this image in Piazza del Popolo. It needs some work as you can see.

Post-Processing Challenge #258.

Link to RAW File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61468848/_1030037.RW2

The Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by XXXXX over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

---

Contest will be closed 07/02/2016 around 12:00am BST.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    _1030037.

Ok my take... a few minutes brightening up the image, tweaking the white balance to make it warmer, pushing the saturation of the blue and a crop that emphasises the couple

cheers

K

• Like Like x 2
  3. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Maybe too cropped? It seems a shame to lose the two pillars, they kind of echo the couple.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    looked at that... but to me it made the couple too small and the exaggerated perspective of the pillars was going to be tricky to correct with my PP tool of choice.

I am a ruthless cropper... if it does not add or actually subtracts from what I see as the point of the image, then its out... I am not precious at all.

Would be happy to see others attempts at cropping...I think its a subject thats not discussed enough

cheers
    K

5. Rome.

Prep work in ACR, including straithening and cropping. Improving dynamic range using Lumenzia, a touch of Color Efex Pro (Dynamic Contrast), High Pass sharpening.

• Like Like x 5
  6. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Nice to see something from my favourite camera/lens combo!

I had trouble getting PSCC to fix the perspective but I was fairly happy with this after some more tweaks in LRCC and enhancing the sky, leaves and shadows very slightly.
    27880389822_fa06b72dd7_b.
    Original at Flickr

Then I thought a tighter crop would work too, with a bit more work on the perspective and whites:
    27388223573_49bef15641_b (1).
    Original at Flickr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    I was wondering about cropping out the couple, the girl seems to be picking her nose.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Well I personally found two crops I thought were ok.
    Number 1

_1030037%20v1.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Number 2, this one is significantly tighter and focused on centralising the main statue.
    _1030037%20v2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
  11. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
  12. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015
    Thanks for your take on the images folks - lots of different takes.

In third place dlpruk
    in second place Zeus1
    My winner AussiePhil entry 1. I like the balance of this image and the fact that it got rid of the annoying couple. I was waiting for an eternity for them to move but they were just happy doing their own thing.
    _1030037%20v1.

Here's my take on the scene :-

Piazza del Popolo fountain edited.

Over to AussiePhil for the next challenge. @AussiePhil@AussiePhil

• Like Like x 1
  13. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Thanks Nigel,

I've got nothing handy at the moment to post so if @Zeus1@Zeus1 is up for it i'm going to pass the baton to second place

over to @Zeus1@Zeus1

14. And I have to refuse: leaving for France in 24 hrs for some R&R with the family. Going to a small village without internet connection, even without a bar/cafe/shop. Will be back second half of July.
    Seems it's up to You, Nigel.

15. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015
    @dlpruk@dlpruk - David, as the other two guys are unable to post, please could you kick off #259 - thank you.

16. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Post-Processing Challenge #259 is now here.

17. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Counting-down on Post-Processing Challenge #259; 12 hours to go!