Post-Processing Challenge #253

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by vorlon1, Jun 6, 2016.

1. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    See what you can do with this.

27497088635_e3ab3f5462_b. IMG19 by vorlon44, on Flickr

JPEG file: http://vorlon1.com/IMG19.jpg
    Raw file: http://vorlon1.com/IMG19.CR2

Contest will close June 9 at approx. 10:00PM EST(USA)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by XXXXX over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Interesting to work on, went for a 8x10 crop with some subtle work to make the image pop

IMG19.

• Like Like x 2
  4. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    Symmetry at work

#253.

• Like Like x 5
  5. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    #253.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    16x9 crop w/fountain placement using rule of thirds, converted to B&W, adjusted brightness & contrast, slightly cooled temperature & added light vignette.
    image.

7. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I thought the original was a bit flat so some Lightroom filters on the sky, fountain, background and foreground, plus some local adjustments, gave this:
    Fountain.
    Original at Flickr

Then I thought a grainy, old-film look might suit the scene too:
    Fountain 2.

8. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    5 x 7 crop, then edited in SEF Pro 2.

PP 253.

9. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Usually, in these challenges, I'll submit one traditionally processed image and one that's anything but. Here I was trying for a delicate engraved look, and used the same crop as my first entry.
    image.

• Like Like x 1
  11. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Lots of nice entries.

12. deepaqua

deepaqua Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Thanks everyone, the challenge is now closed. I'll do some contemplating and get back to everyone.

14. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Here are the results. Thanks again to all who worked on the image.

In third pace is dpruk's grainy, old fashioned treatment of the image. Nice work
    In second place is Scotsman's engraved treatment, he managed to turn what was a hot, bright, south Florida day into a wintry scene, which I found interesting.
    The winner is Mr Hahn who captured a colorful look that suited the image, I particularly liked the sky.

Over to you, Mr Hahn, for the next challenge.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Hey that's pretty cool, thanks. I have something in mind for the next challenge, I just need to go take the shot and I should have it posted tomorrow. While you wait I'll leave you with what I did in Lightroom for this one. The only thing I did other than what's screen captured below is I played with the healing brush in the trees to hide the houses more. Also, I used the raw image and didn't start with anything specific in mind, I just moved sliders until I liked it.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.17.42 AM.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.15.04 AM.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.15.32 AM.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.14.23 AM.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.14.03 AM.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    interesting