1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post-Processing Challenge #250

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Scotsman, May 18, 2016.

1. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    I chose this picture for the Challenge for a few reasons: 1) I haven't done any post processing to it, 2) I like the angle of the tree branch the way it matches the contour of the barn roof, and 3) I think there are quite a few possibilities, as far as cropping/framing are concerned. Good luck everyone!
    image.

JPEG file: Dropbox - PB191434.JPG
    Raw file: Dropbox - PB191434.ORF

Contest will close Saturday, May 21st at approx. 11:00PM EST(USA)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by dlpruk over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Cropping, some work with Lumenzia in order to lighten the tree and darken the sky, nik Dynamic Control and nik Pola filters. High Pass sharpening.

Farm.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  4. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    PB191434A.

And a bit more abstract . . .

PB191434B.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

6. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    I liked the original composition so I didn't crop it.

26833880790_386f7fa812_b. silo3a by vorlon44, on Flickr

Here is a cropped version with a different tone.

27054222411_268c09d7b4_b. silo3at by vorlon44, on Flickr

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  7. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I tried a square crop and got rid of the branches that overlapped the silo roof that were bugging me.

PB191434_ed.

PB191434_ed2.

Used LR and PS CC and Tonality

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Like EdH, the branches over the silo bugged me.... Ed did a much better job at it though :)

I went for a 16x10 crop with the Silos nearly centred, then as it reminded me of classic art I oil painted the end result.

PB191434.

• Like Like x 4
  9. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  10. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    kept original crop and branches, adjustments in LR and using NIK Color Efex Pro

C250a.

• Like Like x 2
  11. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    #2 B&W version

C250b.

12. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
  13. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    image (4).
    I thought the tree deserved to be the focal point - so this is the crop I went with. Also some contrast changes.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    image (3) (4).

.. and here is a digital-impressionist version

• Like Like x 2
  15. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    ^^^

Now that is funky!! Very cool.

16. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    The Challenge is now ended. Results will be forthcoming.

17. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Thank you to everyone who participated. I hope you had some fun with the photo. As always, this is the part I least enjoy about these Challenges.

Here are the results:

3rd place - AussiPhil
    I like the crop and realistic looking colors and processing. Removing the branch over the silo is a minor detail, but it does enhance the image. I must also say that, whatever "oil painting" effect you're using does a very nice job.

2nd place - Brian Beezley(1st submission)
    This is another effective crop, with processing that is realistic and not overdone. This image is most representative of how I recall the scene when I took the picture.

Winner - Vorlon1(2nd submission)
    The subdued colors and processing in this image makes the scene appear even more dreary and bleak than I recall. Nevertheless, I like the overall effect....a lot. It also appears you removed at least part of one white stake/post from the original picture. I found them to be more distracting than the branch over the silo. Nice work and congratulations, Vorlon1. Challenge #251 is now up to you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Thanks, I will put something up soon.