Post-Processing Challenge #249 (closed, winners announced)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by WhidbeyLVR, May 12, 2016.

1. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    PPC #249.

Man-made waterfall in the Japanese Garden at the Frederik Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids.

Notes about the photo: I had a variable ND filter, but it didn't fit my lens, so I was holding the filter over the end of the lens with my left hand and handling the camera with my right. I am pretty sure that the pink blur in the bottom right corner is my left index finger. I had no tripod or monopod, so I am pleased that it came out as well as it did at a fifth of a second. Credit that to the amazing IBIS in the E-M5 MkII rather than my technique.

P5090201_01_small.

Raw and JPG are here.

This Challenge will be closed after Sunday, May 15th. I'll announce winners on Monday.

-- Lyle
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Judge will provide a photo, challenging Entrants to "improve" it by way of post-processing. It must be the Judge's own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Judge agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entries.

At the end of the challenge, the Judge will name a Winner, a First Runner-up, and a Second Runner-up. For obvious reasons, the Judge may not enter the challenge.

The Winner of the challenge shall serve as the Judge of the next challenge. If the Winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to successive Runners-up.
    ----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Judge's image is posted for the sole purpose of this challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per Entrant.

Entrants are to post their images, visible in this thread with 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension. If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    ----------------------------------------------

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria were used to decide on a winner. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the Judge's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.

By participating in this challenge, Entrants allow the Judge to re-post their images in this thread for the sole purpose of announcing the winners.

• Like Like x 1
  2. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    entry 1

entry1.

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Cropped, spotted and local colour and exposure adjustments in Lightroom.

Waterfall-1.

Original at Flickr

I liked this crop too:
    Waterfall-1-2.
    Original at Flickr

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  4. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    P5090201_01_small (6).

Crop, contrast adjustment and color merge to highlight the water path between the trees

• Like Like x 1
  5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

• Like Like x 4
  7. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

8. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 2
  10. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    entry 2, something different

entry2.

11. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Here's a B+W take.

bsiudZc.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    That big rock at the back kept drawing my attention, but I wanted the viewer to start from the front.
    P5090201-water4-1000px.
    Tricks employed:
    - played with perspective to make it smaller
    - cropped such that the rock is away from the center
    - gradient filter to make that area darker
    - selection brush to tame the highlight even more

(The forum doesn't force the image to fit the visible portion of browser window. Easier to see the whole thing if you right click and view in another window so it scales.)

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  13. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    A gentle bump on the last day of the challenge . . .

Great entries so far! You are going to make it tough on me.

Still plenty of time for new first or second entries.

14. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Cropped, made local adjustments to sharpness, saturation, contrast etc.

26941823312_cb14fa87b9_b. rocks2a by vorlon44, on Flickr

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  15. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

cropped.
    played with levels in faststone quickly to (make blacks less black, increase contrast and brightness).. and boosted saturation slightly.
    then I got rid of the dry plants in the left corner with i)more stones and water ii) more green.

i) more stones and water
    P5090201_01(1)-isx22r.

ii) more green, I guess like this one better.

P5090201_01(1)-isx3r.

17. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Really tough job judging this one. I want to thank all the participants. I was glad to see that nobody emphasized my errant finger. It was fascinating to see all the variations on crop and processing. Really well done, each of you!

I have a 3-way tie for 2nd Runners Up:

vorlon1: Great crop. The colors seemed a little too bright and flat to me.

dlpruk (entry #2): That tight crop on the upper part of the falls was nice, and I preferred your crop to the similar one by Brian Beezely because it eliminated the dead dark space in the upper right, and I liked the path my eye took down the image.

Zues1: Nice B&W treatment. The crop left a nice diagonal path for the eye to follow. Special mention for being the only one to clone out the rail in the lower left (and nicely done, at that); I liked that little bit of extra waterfall at the bottom.​

1st Runner Up:

Brian Beezeley (entry #2): Nice crop. This may be the most accurate color rendition of that overcast day.​

Winner:

Dave "Scotsman" (entry #2): My favorite crop and processing. Taking out some of that dead space at the top took it above your first entry. While the warm colors and higher saturation were probably less accurate than Brian's, I found that they made this image the most appealing to me.​

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Thank you, Lyle! I certainly didn't envy your judging this challenge, as there were a lot of very good entries. I agree with you, that eliminating the "dead space" at the top of the frame (from my first submission) really improved the image.

I'll post a new challenge sometime tomorrow.