1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post-Processing Challenge #247

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Scotsman, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    This isn't exactly the typical photo posted here for processing. In fact, it's quite a mess.....in more ways than one. However, I'm sure the creative talent here will rise to the "challenge" and "fix" it.
    image.

JPEG file: Dropbox - P1040597.JPG
    Raw file: Dropbox - P1040597.RW2

Contest will close Saturday, April 30th at 11:00PM EST(USA)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by dlpruk over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Where time has stopped...

P1040597.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
  4. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Nice one to play with! I lost the radio aerial, the power lines and some spots and bits of litter in PSCC before local and general lighting, colour and saturation adjustments - mainly with LRCC brushes.
    26629355321_7ddbe3c5b9_h.
    Original at Flickr

I liked the drama from B/W too:
    26422506660_35cf1ad203_h.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  5. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    It just felt a little "empty" and you just know this would happen in real life.... P1040597.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
  7. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    I see you applied the digital "RoundUp" filter. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    • Like Like x 2
  10. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    That made me laugh out loud! What a great name for a filter. Wish I had thought of that.
    :laugh1:

11. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Something different, decided to shift the perspective to give a different look.
    P1040597.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
  13. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Just a few hours left, for anyone interested in entering Post-Processing Challenge #247.

14. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    The Challenge is now closed. Results to follow.

15. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Thank you to all who entered. I kept changing my mind on the winners, as I found something to like in every entry. My final five were constantly changing position, but since I have to pick a winner, here are the results.

3rd Place(3 way tie):
    Zeus1 -
    I like the crop, B&W rendition and the white vignette. This image was my leader in the clubhouse.
    dlpruk(color version) - the colors, crop, and elimination of distracting elements is effective....creating an appealing image
    WhidbeyLVR(color version) - I find this processing to be the most realistic, and very much how I recall the scene. Very nicely done, WhidbeyLVR.

2nd Place:
    azjsb -
    your entry made me smile.....as I would definitely be that boy! Wonderful image! Kudos for not only being creative, but effectively so. I had a hard time deciding between this image and the eventual winner.

Winner:
    AussiPhil -
    I almost dismissed this entry upon first seeing it. However, the more I viewed it, the more it drew me in and the more appreciation I had for the processing. The nice, tight crop and dark vignette, along with the muted color palette(except for those amazing yellow grab rails) suits the subject matter and creates a better image than I thought possible. Congratulations, AussiPhil....well done!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Thanks Dave and to all the entrants, well done.
    I personally voted azjsb as a winner as it brought a huge smile to my face.

Dave, I spent a lot of time in ACR gradually bringing the saturation levels whilst at the same time reducing the vibrance levels.
    ACR Settings
    Exposure: -1.15
    Contrast: +23
    Highlights -100
    Shadows: +100
    Whites: +43
    Blacks: +55
    Clarity: +48
    Vibrance: -87
    Saturation: +49

Saturation Tab:
    Red +41
    Orange +40
    Yellow +48
    Green +70
    Blues +53

Luminance Tab:
    Red -23
    Orange +33
    Purples +47

Split Toning
    Highlights
    Hue 227
    Sat 15

Here's the numbers to change the perspective...
    Lens Corrections:
    Distortion: +33
    Horizontal -58
    Scale 129

As you can see from the numbers even before it got into PS6 it had some very heavy handed colour work. I loved the way the yellow grab rails jumped out so left them alone :) Glad it grew on you, I nearly discarded it but it had the same effect, the more i worked on it and looked at it the more i liked it.

I'll find something in the next couple hours
    Cheers

• Informative Informative x 1