Post-Processing Challenge #245 **WINNERS ANNOUNCED**

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by WhidbeyLVR, Apr 14, 2016.

1. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    PPC #245.

Public market scene. Papaya... banana... mmmm...
    I know you can make it better. Have fun!

P3025561-1small.

Raw and JPG are here.

This Challenge will be closed after Sunday, April 17th. I'll announce winners on Monday.

I tried to reorganize, simplify, and streamline the rules below. Comments welcome.

-- Lyle
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Judge will provide a photo, challenging Entrants to "improve" it by way of post-processing. It must be the Judge's own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Judge agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entries.

At the end of the challenge, the Judge will name a Winner, a First Runner-up, and a Second Runner-up. For obvious reasons, the Judge may not enter the challenge.

The Winner of the challenge shall serve as the Judge of the next challenge. If the Winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to successive Runners-up.
    ----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Judge's image is posted for the sole purpose of this challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per Entrant.

Entrants are to post their images, visible in this thread with 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension. If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    ----------------------------------------------

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria were used to decide on a winner. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the Judge's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.

By participating in this challenge, Entrants allow the Judge to re-post their images in this thread for the sole purpose of announcing the winners.

2. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    A quick first effort:
    image.

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Like Like x 2
  4. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    • Like Like x 2
  5. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    #2 for fun....

C245B.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 3
  7. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Almost too many possibilities here so I started by spotting to clone-out some distracting highlights before cropping and some general/local colour and lighting adjustments in LRCC. (Delighted that bigger images are now acceptable!) Papaya (1 of 1).
    Original at Flickr

And I loved this pattern with the saturation wound-up a bit:
    Papaya (1 of 1)-2.

• Like Like x 4
  8. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  9. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

• Like Like x 2
  11. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Kept it simple, small crop, lifted shadows so you can see the faces, other small adjustments.

25868424664_3fa2028ede_b. fruita2 by vorlon44, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Lotsa great entries so far. Still a dozen-plus hours to go, so you have plenty of time for that last-minute digital darkroom masterpiece.

13. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    What I like about this photo are the colorful fruit and the transaction going on between the two women. The two biggest problems I have with my original are (1) the shadowed foreground (particularly, the faces) against that harsh, bright background, and (2) the shopper in the dark top (middle background) who breaks the line of tension created by the arms and eyes of the vendor and buyer. So these were the main things I was looking at initially. As always, I also just wanted to see what you folks would come up with; I usually discover pleasant surprises, and this time was no different.

Most entries tried to address the exposure problems, and were largely successful. Many of the entries also enhanced the color of the fruit. The issue of the figure(s) in the background distracting from the main action of the scene was addressed in some entries by concentrating on the hands and/or fruit, by cropping out the background altogether.

So after all this, what did I find? I liked them all, but I kept coming back to four images which I preferred over the rest:

Honorable Mention: dlpruk entry #2 (closeup of the papayas). I liked the pattern and accentuated color too!

2nd Runner-Up: Scotsman's "quick first effort" (B&W). I was surprised how compelling the image was without the bright colors of the fruit. Those papayas almost glowed!

1st Runner-Up: protapic entry #1. Good exposure compensation, and I liked how the tighter crop accentuated the tension between to two main actors in the scene.

Winner: vorlon1. I liked the crop (minimizing the box at the bottom-right). The strong exposure compensation made image very easy to read. As a side benefit, lifting the brightness of that encroaching central figure from dark to middle-gray made it less of a distraction to me.

Thank you all for your entries!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Thanks, I'll get a new one up shortly.