Post Processing Challenge 244

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by tkbslc, Apr 9, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

New Post Processing challenge #244.

Dynamic scene in Chinatown in San Francisco. Shot with the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye. This one has deep shadows, bright highlights, lots of distortion and should be challenging. Good luck!

P1170323b.

DNG (RAW):P1170323.dng
    JPG: P1170323.jpg

Contest will close April 12, at 3:00PM MDT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    P1170323_01zA.

Processed in DxO. Defished and re-projected in Hugin.

• Like Like x 4
  3. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle

Warp Drive

warp cab.

• Like Like x 6
  4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    #1 Always interesting/fun to see what you can come up with on a tablet/phone, went for a B&W comic look. I'l, have another go on the computer later.
    IMG_20160409_193107.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Like Like x 3
  6. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 5
  9. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    • Like Like x 7
  10. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    • Like Like x 6
  11. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    image.
    I deleted my first "painting" attempt, as I prefer this one.....right now.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    P1170323sml.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    Wow, these are all soooooo good! Nice work!

14. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I don't have a fisheye so I had no idea how to tackle this, apart from some routine spotting to get rid of some of the chewing gum and other stuff in LRCC. (That'll be obvious, I'm afraid, but at least I did something!)
    Chinatown 1.
    Original at Flickr

My second effort seems marginally better, I think!
    Chinatown2 (1 of 1).
    Original at Flickr

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  15. tkbslc

Okay I don't count but here was my edit I had done prior to the challenge:

P1170323-Edit.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  16. tkbslc

Time to judge, I guess!

I honestly like all of these this time, so I had to really nitpick to whittle it down to the top 3.

My favorites are:

@sesser@sesser - looks really close to the one I had edited before starting the challenge. Very solid B+W exposure and corrections
    @bigboysdad@bigboysdad - really nice corrections and excellent preservation of the sky at the top of the hill
    @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR - I think you did the best job correcting the distortion, keeping the building straight and vertical and you even preserved the people at the corners. You also did very well keeping the exposure balanced. Bonus points for a fun motion blur edit in #2.

Winner goes to @WhidbeyLVR@WhidbeyLVR

• Like Like x 1
  17. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Woah! I thought the creative ideas this time spread in a lot of interesting directions. I am surprised and grateful for the nod. Thanks for your challenge!

I will get the new challenge up soon.

• Like Like x 1