Post Processing Challenge #238

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by AussiePhil, Mar 11, 2016.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    The Canberra balloon festival started this morning and runs for 2 weeks, up at 6:15am, drove down to the traditional launch spot only to find out that this morning they where launching from a location 10 minutes away, 15 due to road closures, back towards my house... i'd driven nearly right past it!
    A hurried drive got me back to a spot to grab photos as they went overhead, this one was shot looking back to the east into the sunrise and really needs some work

P3120011sm.

RAW: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/PPC/P3120011.ORF
    JPEG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/PPC/P3120011.JPG

Contest will close Tuesday Evening 15th March Australian time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by dlpruk over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

4. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Tempted to mess with the colors to play up the sunrise aspect, but nah -- just my usual. Color, contrast, and a bit of straightening + slight crop for balance. It's pretty much how I process all of my photos.

RbfQ8SG.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
  7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
  8. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Sky adjustments, lifted some shadows on the trees, various other local adjustments, sharpness, saturation etc. Did not crop the photo.

25435868110_e177ac6ee0_b. balloons2ac by vorlon44, on Flickr

and a cropped version

25110217343_feb37f1937_b. balloons2ac2 by vorlon44, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  9. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    now this one is shaping up to be a hard to judge affair, keep them coming :)

10. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I had great problems getting anything useful from the dark balloon in the centre so I dumped it and got to work on the two to the left. Lots of colour boosting and other fiddling about in LRCC and PSCC; hope I didn't overcook it!

25676233722_fda37f6067_b.

Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    6 to 7 hrs to go........ :)

12. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you for reminding me. I spent some time on this a few days ago and then forgot about it. I like the original image, it reminds me of a trip I made to the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

P3120011.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Sorry for the delay, got sidetracked last night.

This was actually tougher than i thought as I really liked different things in each of the top three.

3rd place:
    Bruce McL, this was as close to how it looked in real life on the morning.

2nd place:
    vorlon1, i'm a sucker for blue skys and the sky really was that blue. Nice work to pull detail out of the foreground as well.

1st Place: @AG_Alex2097@AG_Alex2097
    AG_Alex2097, i've not stopped liking this each time i've scrolled past it, just like it :)

Over to Alex....

Cheers
    Phil

14. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Phil.

I made my adjustments in Lightroom. The basic work was done by two presets.

For tonality I used one of “Matt’s Presets” called Black and White HDR (Strong). For color use I removed the grain, vignetting, and black and white conversion. Matt no longer has the exact preset I used on his website, but here is a link to an updated version. It's free.

Lightroom Presets - Black and White Tonal Contrast Effect - Lightroom Killer Tips

For color I used “Kodachrome 25 Mix” which is one of about a dozen presets in an impressive Kodachrome package by X Equals. I think this is still free, but you have to "order" which requires giving out personal info.

In Memoriam - Kodachrome (1935 – 2010) - XEQUALS - Learn. Create. Dominate.

This was a fun exercise. It’s nice to be reminded about different tools and techniques.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Glad it pleased you Phill, it was indeed a fun little exercise!
    All editing was done in Photoshop CS6, starting with a levels adjustment layer, followed by brightness/contrast layer, a color balance layer, a curves layer, a masked levels layer and finally an exposure layer, i'll see if i can't upload the .psd file when i get home for those interested ;-)

As for the new challenge i'll try to put it up asap, but i'll have to go out shooting first as i don't have any raw files laying around! Excuse any delay :/

Edit: here's the .psd for those who want to learn; Post Processing Challenge.psd

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  17. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Just for fun here is the edit I personally did tonight as part of the set i've started uploading to flickr. I'm hoping to get another morning with the balloons this saturday.
    25738755391_78f4dbb1c0_h. P3120012 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  18. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    That's a nice edit, great clarity in it! :)
    Personally i didn't like how the foreground looked when boosted so i decided to keep it dark :p

Here's the new challenge: Post Processing Challenge #239

• Like Like x 1