1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #234

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Scotsman, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    This is probably not the best photo for this type challenge, but at least it will keep things moving. I took this the other day, just outside the village where I live.
    image.
    Note: AussiPhil(Challenge #233 winner) was unable to post a photo for this challenge and asked me(2nd place) to do so....to avoid unnecessary delay.

JPG: Dropbox - P1040416.JPG
    RAW: Dropbox - P1040416.RW2

Contest will close Wednesday, February 24th at 11:00PM EST(USA)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by dlpruk over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. B/W rendition using Tonality by McPhun.

P1040416.

3. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Zeus1, it looks like you may win this by default! :biggrin:

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't want to win because I don't want to have to host a challenge but I decided to have a go because I've never been in snow, have no idea what snow looks like, and that really ups the challenge.

Basically, I tried to turn it into a colour photo :)

P1040416.

Everything done in Lightroom. I adjusted the white balance to whiten the snow, increased exposure slightly, reduced contrast to get some texture in the snow, reduced highlights for some gradation in the sky, boosted whites for brightness, and strongly boosted vibrance before sharpening. I applied 4 adjustment brushes. There's a brush on the sky to reduce colour temperature to get a bit of blue colour there plus I've played with the black point and shadows slider to get some "weather" to show there and increased noise reduction to smooth the sky. There's a brush on the snow to boost clarity and contrast very slightly in order to bring out the surface texture of the snow. There's a brush on the river to boost clarity and I've really boosted saturation to get a hint of colour in the water, and there's a brush on the dark area just above the water on the right just to lighten the shadow area there a fraction. Finally I boosted saturation for the grass in the lower left corner using the channel adjustments for saturation in the HSL panel and that added a bit of brown in the background foliage as well.

I've got no idea what snow looks like in the flesh or what the sky looked like at the time but I basically tried to bring out the colour hiding in the file in a way that I thought looked natural. I may have produced an image for a chocolate box :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Yep. I took her way over the top. But, I'm killing the last hour of the work day ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    I'm a total newb. don't know what I'm doing but i enjoy looking and learning on these threads so I'll give it a go.
    P1040416-1.

• Like Like x 4
  7. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    a couple of variations...

C234-2.

C234.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
  9. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Made a 4:5 crop. Lots of dodging and burning in ACR. Selective desaturation and contrast reduction combined with white balance adjustment of the background. In PS removal of the remaining grass in lower left corner to get more focus on the main, dark branches in the scene.

P1040416 copy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I found the under-exposure of this shot very challenging as nothing was white so I concentrated in trying to create a sense of depth from the foreground tree with various adjustments behind it and into the sky, all in Lightroom.

Snowy Woodland 2.
    Full-size at Flickr.

As there's so little colour here anyway, I thought a monochrome version might work:

Snowy woodland-2 mono.

Full size at Flickr

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    There's about one day left for new entries......plenty of time to "take up the challenge".

12. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    :bump:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    It's close to the announced deadline for entries, but since there aren't a lot of them and it hasn't been a full 72 hours, I am extending the deadline for another 8-12 hours. I will post sometime tomorrow morning(EST) when the challenge is officially closed.

14. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    The Challenge is now closed. Results to follow.

15. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Here are the results:
    3rd Place - Zeus1
    I thought this image would work well in B&W and I prefer Zeus1's version. The crop, with the stream starting out of the lower right corner of the frame, along with the elimination of misc. grass in the lower left portion, helps to provide a cleaner image, with a stronger focal point.

2nd Place - David A
    For having never been in snow, you did a good job processing it. The snow looks realistic. The color added to the scene is also effective and not overdone. Bonus points, as well, for doing such an admirable job of describing your processing.

Winner - Conrad
    You made an interesting crop choice and it works well. Your decision to remove the grass in the lower left of the image, along with desaturating the part of the frame that includes the background trees, is very effective in getting, as you said: "more focus on the main, dark branches in the scene". The overall result is a very pleasing depiction of the scene and my choice as winner of this Challenge.

Congratulations, Conrad! The next Challenge is in your hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Scotsman. Next challenge is up!

17. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Scotsman,

Thanks for the comments on my processing. I don't have snow here but I have lots of clouds and I spent a lot of time learning how to get the most out of them so basically I just treated the snow like clouds but went for more fine detail than I do with clouds.

• Like Like x 1