1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #233: The San Francisco Bay Bridge

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by MarkRyan, Feb 16, 2016.

1. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I took this photo of the San Francisco Bay Bridge on a recent photo walk after work. Lots of challenges in post and I ended up giving up on it, but I still think there's potential.

wRYTnHu.

The challenges as I see them:

• Perspective needs correction.
    • Mixed light sources so white balance is a challenge.
    • Long shutter, handheld, so there's some motion blur obscuring details.

But that's just my take. What's yours?

JPG: Download on Google Drive
    RAW: Download on Google Drive

Contest will close Friday, February 19 at 9:00 PM PT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by dlpruk over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    not an easy one at all, not sure if I am happy with it yet, but here it is....

C233a10.

• Like Like x 3
  3. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    another version, after the fog rolls in...

C233-fog.

4. DriftlessRider

DriftlessRider Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2016
    Fountain City, WI
    Ed
    Tried to pull out the pier in the middle. In the process of learning Lightroom, thanks for the exercise.

i-z644W5f-680x10000.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  5. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    It's over the top for sure. Initially going for a mute approach but decided to keep the purple cast. Done mostly in the new OV3, which is much more speedy, and touched up in LR4.
    P2100207.

• Like Like x 2
  6. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I thought it looked better without the pier, so here's a quasi panoramic with a bunch of adjustments in Lightroom.

SF Bridge challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

This was a real challenge for me, to the extent that I dumped the mess I made first time and started over by deblurring in PSCC before editing the TIFF in LRCC to cut the blue and green flares, boosting the oranges slightly because I liked the look and various local lighting adjustments. Hope you like it!

Bridge.
    Original at Flickr.

But I'm not sure if I like the b/w version better:

BridgeBW.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  9. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 4
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here's mine. I wanted to bring out the color.

P2100207.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think this is my first intentional vertical 16:9. I think we should see more of these now that smart phones are ubiquitous right?

P2100207.

In ACR: Perspective correction, some pulling of highlights and pushing of shadows, gradient adjust bridge to be a bit brighter and more saturated, added split tone.
    In PS: Content aware fill to extend sky and a tiny bit on the right edge to compensate for losses after perspective correction, crop to 16:9, add vignette.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  12. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
  13. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  14. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I thought the night sky needed some excitement

P2100207.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    As I scrolled this webpage, I liked the crop where the bridge is largely secondary to the structure underneath. This is a simple crop from my first image, might redo it yet
    P2100207v2.

16. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

Cool challange

Attached Files:

17. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Nice work folks, fun to see the different ways you can take a photo.

#3: vorlon1. I tended to prefer the B&W edits, maybe because I found the color in this photo so challenging. Fun fact: The bridge is gray, the red in the photo came from the odd mix of light sources and the camera white balancing to the lower half.

#2: Scotsman. Another nice B&W, and I like the crop.

#1: AussiePhil. I'll be honest, I actually don't like the water in this edit, but the streaking stars address what I think was subconsciously bothering me most about this photo -- the massive negative space in the upper-right corner and the visual imbalance. I would've never thought to do this sort of edit but I think it works.

Thanks for playing.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    San Francisco + Bridge = Red :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    I believe it is the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and it, indeed, is gray.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Yeah, you are right, of course. My post just didn't come across the right way. Despite MarkRyan putting Bay Bridge in the title, and my having seen the lighted bridge in person. My mind just couldn't overcome the auto association.