1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #225

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by dlpruk, Jan 14, 2016.

1. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

This needs some work so please show us what you'd do:

phpekLTHkPM.

JPEG RAW

Contest will close on January 21, around 11pm GMT.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing." The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by dlpruk over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry and it may help the judge to appreciate your work if you also post a link to the full-size version on Flickr or wherever. However this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I thought it may be an idea to focus on the splash, so the main adjustments were the crop around the water, and adding structure to the splash. Done in Camera Raw, with added, minor adjustments and a bit of noise reduction. (Edit, I've actually deleted my last effort and reposted the pic below for this post)

RuffordRAW copy (2).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    B&W

RuffordRAW-Edit.

• Like Like x 5
  5. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    rough take
    #225.

6. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 1
  7. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Rufford. It's all about the splash - get rid of the distracting cars in background and put some shading to the splash. Rufford.

8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    and something different
    RuffordRAW-2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    I threw away that McDonald cup, told the cars to move - and saw down that pole.
    Finally zoomed in a bit and adjusted aperture to get better ..
    or - I fiddled around in Perfect Photo Suite until I was happy...

RuffordRAW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    leading the pack.....

C225A.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  13. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Very well done everyone; many, many thanks for all the suggestions.

Judging is going to be difficult on Thursday as I have a shortlist of entries that address most of the problems I set but nobody has fixed everything yet so the door is still open for anyone to leap into the lead. But the countdown has started ... !

14. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    A basic edit. White balance + contrast work, mild crop, and a bit of healing.

b1urtFI.

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a 21:9 crop for a more cinematic look, a warmed up white balance, some selective colour tweaking on the car , and a couple of curve adjustments, one global, one brushed in for the splashes.

All in all maybe 15 minutes of futzing in Aperture

RuffordRAW.

K

• Like Like x 1
  16. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    #2 old school

C225B.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
  18. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Thanks everyone for suggesting such a wide range of edits, which made judging very difficult.

You may like to know the five areas that I hoped entrants would address in particular:
    • The unsightly grit bin and litter on the approach to the ford.
    • The telegraph pole and street light.
    • The distracting cars in the background.
    • The relationship between the spray and the footpath.
    • Some creativity.
    Everyone suggested improvements in at least one of those issues so well done everybody!

But most went much further so my shortlist was those who addressed all of the first three plus one or other of the last two.

My second runner-up is bigboysdad's second entry, a dramatic and tight crop in b/w that I thought emphasised the water beautifully.

My first runner-up is Scotsman for another b/w rendering, but ...

My winner is torsteinh who hit all the targets and defocussed appropriately and very cleverly. Well done and thanks!

Over to you torsteinh!

• Like Like x 3
  19. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    Thanks a lot!

And I believe I got a photo which has a few options...