Post Processing Challenge #222

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by diselgl, Dec 30, 2015.

1. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    High ISO PP Challenge

23449135764_5fe9682779_c. P4170075 low res by diselgl, on Flickr

Contest will close Saturday, January 2nd, around 11pm EST.

JPEG: Dropbox
    RAW: Dropbox

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing." The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

5. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    playing around in photoshop after some LR tweaks

#1 Reflections

C222-SHIMMER.

#2 Tilt shift

C222-TILT.

• Like Like x 2
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    16:10, used ACR to smooth noise and a grad filter to get the blue hotel pool look
    tried to remove some of the curvature evident other bits and pieces.

P4170075%20copy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Went with a heavy crop. Always a great idea with higher iso and focus in a different area :) B&W fixes all. DxO for noise, LR for the crop and B&W conversion. A few local adjustments and border added in Perfect Effects
    dB3uQ80l.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    In CW/PS - graduated filter on the pool to bring out the blue and reflection plus an increase in the yellows and greens and some other adjustments. Didn't think it needed cropping as the composition looks fine to me.

P4170075 copy copy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Camera raw again this time converting to Greyscale, bumping up contrast and clarity, applying slight vignetting and dehazing so as to make more focus on the 2 people in the centre.

P4170075 copy (1).

• Like Like x 2
  11. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
  12. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    Thank you everyone for participating in the contest. I never thought picking a winner would be this difficult so this is mostly a subjective thing (subject to my subjective eyes ;)).

I've realized that the image is more on the practice on the basics of post processing (balancing between noise suppression and detail) than having to do with adding effects so I have to look at the processed image as a whole and not pixel peep since this is a very noisy, underexposed image to begin with. And although there is not much you can really do with the image in terms of 'effects', I would have also considered any crazy, out of the box editing.

So my pick for this contest are:

3rd Place:
    AussiePhil -
    Good exposure on the image as a whole. I think you've maxed out the brightest possible exposure for this image.

2nd Place (tied!):
    Brian Beezley & bigboysdad - almost similar styles, minimalist editing with the most balance (I think ;)) between noise control and detail retention possible in color. They've accentuated the mood of the environment like I remembered it a year ago when I was there.

1st Place (drum roll...)
    siftu - the crop, although a bit on the heavy side, worked out pretty well and showed another composition inside the image. The high contrast B&W suppressed the noise and effectively showed the figure to ground between the two people. I would have not notice the figure to ground relationship on the two if not for this crop. :bravo-009:

So congratulations siftu and so I leave you the burden of choosing the next winner for your contest.

So that's it for me! Thank you again for everyone who took the time and effort.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Thanks for the win diselgl. I just got back from a weekend away so I'll post a new one up in the next 12 hours

• Like Like x 1