1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #214

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by WendyK, Nov 22, 2015.

1. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    This one is a double exposure of trees on a foggy day, so not a lot of color to work with in the original, but a lot of texture and pattern. I picked a double exposure because you can get a lot of very different results depending on how you PP them. Feel free to go nuts and get creative.

Double Exposure - Trees and Fog

RAW: PB050032.ORF
    JPG (also on Flickr above): PB050032.jpg

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1600px x npx, or npx x 1600px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    22914281450_60dfee5034_b.

It's a nice abstract. It would be a great base for a background. I decided to do all the PP on my iPad, using VSCO Cam and Polarr.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm bored and not at the computer so I gave this a go on my phone with snapseed.

PB050032-01.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Given the mood, it seems best as a B&W to me. Other than that change, I just made a few minor adjustments--clarity, contrast and exposure.

20151105-PB050032-X2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Every negative looks like an abstract to me, so my simple mind turned this abstract into a negative ;)

All processing in LR. Some strong W/H/S/B slider moves in alternating directions, heavy clarity, inverted tone curve to create negative, split tone, a lot of grain and vignette. I actually found the extreme detail in the shot almost too much so the heavy grain blew that detail away to leave the larger structures (I hope).

Nice image for a PP exercise!

i-2WXDpcz-X3.

Full Res

• Like Like x 4
  6. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    My first post here as I'm a new m43 user!

I was looking to create a new background and stumbled across this challenge I've processed the original to bring out more of the branches and added darkness and blue to set a dark theme.

mu-43 photo challenge 214.

Full Res

• Like Like x 7
  7. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Welcome, Roel! I'm glad you decided to jump right in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Looks upside down to me, so I flipped it and tweaked in NIK tools/LR

C214.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    PB050032-Edit.

The photo reminded me of camping and waking wake up on a foggy morning just at day break - dreading climbing out of the sleeping bag.

• Like Like x 4
  10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    • Like Like x 1
  11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 4
  13. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  14. monowav

monowav Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Jake
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 2
  16. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  17. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Ok Wendy, I've now got 44 different "interpretations" of your image on my iPad. Each succeeding image being more bizarre and abstract than the one previous. In fact, your original image is no longer recognizable :roflmao:.

I figure if I keep deleting and replacing my entries(to keep them at two), I should be able to use "most" of them by the deadline.

Thank you very much for this challenge......I think. I don't know if I've been "creative", but it is driving me "nuts"! :wink:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles