Post Processing Challenge #209

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Scotsman, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    This is a photo I took a couple of months ago and haven't yet processed. The location is Holmes County in Ohio, USA....home to the largest Amish community in the world.

Contest will officially open Thursday, Oct 29th at 11:00pm eastern time, U.S.A. but feel free to post anytime.
    Contest will officially close Sunday, Nov 1st at 11:00pm eastern time, U.S.A.
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.
  2. Two variations, after preliminary work in Camera Raw (cropping, white balance, clarity, vibration):

Antique yellowed plate, using Silver Efex pro:

Colorful rendering, using Color Efex Pro:

• Like Like x 4
  3. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    LR->Photoshop(emboss)->NIK Silver Efex->LR

• Like Like x 2
  4. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  5. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC

• Like Like x 3
  7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    develop in DxO Optics Pro 10. Export tiff. Straighten, crop off some red distraction. If I were willing to spend more time I'd get rid of the red all together and maybe bring up the mids some more...

edit: added v2.
    develop in DxO, export to PSE and flail around a bit. Got rid of most of the red but forgot to straighten, oh well.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  8. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Both imported in LR5 with minor changes to exposure, contrast, crop, clarity and to amplify whites and blacks as far as possible. Both TIFs then edited in NIK software.

PP 209-2.

PP 209.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 5, 2014
  10. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    There's a little over four hours left to enter the current challenge. However, I won't be judging until tomorrow, so feel free to submit an entry overnight(U.S. time). I'll post when the challenge is officially closed to new entries.
  11. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    The challenge is now closed. I will post results later today.
  12. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    Thank you, everyone for your submissions. They have given me some ideas, for when I finally get around to processing this image myself.

Third place: PacNWMike, second version. I like the decision to change the red on the building to grey. I also like that the blacks on the buggies have nice contrast, but still retain lots of detail.

Second place: tyrphoto, color version. I like the crop and the overall muted color palette. I think it suits the subject matter.

Winner: Zeus1, antique yellow plate version. The very first entry, and it grabbed my attention as soon as I saw it. The processing is very much in line with what I had in mind for this image....although I'm sure I wouldn't have done nearly as well. The overall effect is of a photo taken in the late nineteenth century, when buggies like this were commonplace. The light vignette really adds to this effect. Obviously, I like it a lot and feel your processing produced an impactful image, that also does a very good job of being appropriate for the subject matter.

Congratulations, Zeus1!

I look forward to what you come up with for the next challenge.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The moment I saw Your picture, I knew how to process the image, I knew what I would have to do with it. This picture screamed for a "vintage" processing.

I'll try to put up the next contest tomorrow evening, or at the latest on Thursday.