Post Processing Challenge! (#19)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Bokeaji, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    (ending March 21 supper time-ish!)

OOPS! I put in an entry and was so positively certain it wouldnt be well recieved(because im apparently a negative nancy- lol) that i didnt even fret over checking for the winners. I just got an email this morning saying "youve got a pm!" and found out that way!

So, very sorry for the delay in posting something up!
    I spazzed through my recently taken photos, but nothing peaked my interest for processing fun. So I dug back through the oldies and ran across this one..... i have 1245234 versions of it, and i hate them all. So mebbe you guys will come up with something brilliant...? :)

This was taken outside of the back gate entrance to Texas World Speedway, in Bryan/College Station, TX

I was with a buddy who had been instructing motorcycle track days, and we were pulling out of the track for the weekend. I glanced over(just to avoid the sun in my eyes from the view out MY window) and saw this car poking out from the grasses.

I'll announce the winner, and also post up the treatment I gave it, on March 21st sometime round dinner!

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

PP Challenge Rules Template here :-
    Mu-43 Post Processing Challenges - Objectives/Rules/Criteria Discussion Thread
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Old cars usually seem to attract hdr, I figured I'd go with it.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    oooh I feel a whole lot of HDR coming on... where are my welding goggles? :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Warmed up the white balance, then desaturated colors other than blue and orange, which I bumped up a little to bring out the sky and rust.
    <a href="" title="PatrickVA_try by kcirtap89, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="PatrickVA_try"></a>
    • Like Like x 2
  5. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    My first try - no hdr on this

• Like Like x 2
  7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    First entry is in color.

Cropped the fence out.

Added warmth to highlight and shadows.

Added vignette to take away focus from branches not in the same focus plane.

[​IMG] PP Challenge #19 - Entry 1 by Drewbot 95, on Flickr

Second entry is B&W.

Tried to eliminate the all frame edge distractions and bring attention to the grill and headlights.

Cropped 1:1.

Vignetted the out of focus grass.

Totally underexposed the frame and brought out highlights which were the grill and part of the sky.

Totally over the top but probably won't be the most overcooked.

[​IMG] PP Challenge #19 - Entry 2 by Drewbot 95, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2
  9. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    here's my submission.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    My monotone treatment:

<a href="" title=" post processing challenge by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt=" post processing challenge"></a>
    • Like Like x 3
  11. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    2nd submission.

Attached Files:

12. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    1st Submission

<a href="" title="Mu43Challenge19 by Mr.Kilawin, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="819" alt="Mu43Challenge19"></a>
  13. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
  14. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    "The Dying Brit Lost in the West" and "Back from the Dead"

This is an unfortunately:frown: rusted 1952-1958 Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire (a British saloon car). I am very obsessed with cars, and ever since I could talk I could name cars as they passed by. These are very rare in America, and I find it odd that one would end up in Texas, since it is a British saloon car that never incorporated the exuberant styling of the finned fifties. Only about 7000 were built in the WORLD, and early and later models have even lower build numbers, some in the mid hundreds (500-700). Ok enough of my silly car history lesson (You must be thoroughly weirded :confused: out by now)– My first entry I gave a HDR like treatment, then pulled out the blues slightly to give a stormy look, plus basic edits etc. Then I added Graduated filters to further accentuate the storm front I created , and after that I brushed two layers of blur adjustments to bring the depth of focus/field in on the front-right headlamp, gradually making them stronger to be as realistic as a real lens as I possibly could without spending hours with a small brush zoomed into the image, painting on each individual DOF area. Then I added a vignette.

The Dying Brit Lost in the West | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

On my second entry, I went for a contrasty, black and white nighttime look, with the headlights brushed with an exposure brush to make the car look like it has popped on on its own. Used my previous entry as a basis, then turned it BW and dropped the exposure and other adjustments. Moved the graduated filters and vignette around, and added light to the grass in front of the headlights and on the ground.

Back from the Dead | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Great Image Bokeaji! I love images of old cars, they make me feel nostalgia for this lost era of automobiles! And these image scream for HDR, which I think is a rather cool movement, although sometimes it is a little extreme, like wannabe photographers on Instagram using freebie software to do so, leaving weird aberrations :mad: and uneven tonalities :eek: in areas where tones should be properly exposed.

Thanks! :2thumbs: :drinks:
    • Like Like x 4
  15. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    LR4 play with adjustments, crop and rotation was my favorite thing to do to it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    1st submission Going for a film look. Add warmth, desaturate, de-contrast, de-sharpen, add grain.

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    What a fun image to work with!

For my first take I did went for a tightish crop on the Armstrong Siddeley nameplate and gave it a "painterly" vibe:

For my second take, I cropped it a bit (mostly to remove the tree) and tried to highlight the decay:

Comments and criticism are encouraged.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    wow so many entries so fast! keep it up! :D
  20. dtchan