1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post-Processing Challenge #189

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by bigboysdad, Aug 5, 2015.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    The location at the end of the Millennium Bridge in London was a place where I just could not find a good spot I wanted to take a picture; you literally needed to elbow your way through the swarm of photographers and you needed a brick-like DSLR and tripod to do it. To be fair, I’d imagine that part of the reason for this was because the golden hour was seconds away. However because it was the golden hour, they’ll be plenty of scope for post processing in this image even though it was hurriedly taken and not in a position I favoured. What you’re seeing below is a copy of the raw file, so your finished image will not end up looking anything like that. It was taken with an E-P5 and Oly 12 so trust me, the detail is there and the scope is there for lots of toning, editing and adjustments. I hope you all enjoy working on it and very much look forward to the entries.

P6265115-2.JPG

The raw file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dljkvuwco2qywx/P6265115.ORF?dl=0
    And the jpeg file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/syviguuzvzj3q2g/P6265115.JPG?dl=0

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a large size (preferably at least 1024 pixel) image. If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN

• Like Like x 4
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I like this image quite a bit but I felt the human element was too far away so I cropped in but with a 16x9 crop to keep as much of the bridge and the building in the back as possible while keeping the leading lines of the pathway at the bottom corners while also keeping in mind the rule of thirds during the crop.

For me, the two figures are vital to the image as are the group of people in between set against the leading lines of the bridge to the domed building in the back. So I brought out the shadows and focused on having the lighting draw the eye from the figures in front to the domed building.

I actually ended up with two color versions and three B&W versions before settling for these which I posted.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that both images involved a four step post process for anyone interested.
    LR6 >>> OnOne Perfect Effects 9.5 >>> Alien Skin Exposure 7 >>> LR6

Color:

Monochrome:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I agree the two people make it for me, kept this one simple with processing but did crop tighter and to a full anamorphic 2.39:1 cinema ratio as i felt it deserved a big screen look :)
    P6265115x.

• Like Like x 1
  5. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I played with this for a while before realising that the two blokes in the foreground were key. Simple PP and a different crop change the context a little. P6265115_Ed1.

Tried a portrait crop with the black and white one. I think I might prefer it. It works well with verticals of the standing men and St Pauls.

P6265115_Ed2.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I did not look at other works before doing mine but I see that the 16:9 format was quite attractive
    One is a simple B&W version, the other has a "cartoon/oil" effect that I got by chance tweaking the denoise and I liked it.

20321745791_75a3fe8c76_b.

20307318682_af1bb0580f_b.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I tried to get as close as possible to the golden hour atmosphere. Quite a lot of dodging and burning to enhance the depth in the scene. Some mild clarity added to get the sunshine feel in it.

P6265115.

• Like Like x 4
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Well done Conrad, you’ve won, because you worked hard to achieve the golden hour effect, which was somewhat hidden in the raw file, and that came across in the final image. Runner up spots to EdH and Brian Beezley in respect their B&W efforts which I also liked.

The standard on this thread was very high and it is noted that time and thought has gone into every entry, no short cut one press solution has been taken with any of the entries. If its like this every week, just getting into the top 3 will be an achievement.

Over to you Conrad.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  9. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks, Bigboysdad. I'll be posting a new challenge in a few minutes.