Post-Processing Challenge #188

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Brian Beezley, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I took this shot last December on the pier in Oceanside, California. I reworked the image several times before I was satisfied. I'd think I was done and then a few weeks later start from scratch and make something completely different. Since I found this image so difficult, maybe it's a good challenge.

Rules for Post-Processing Challenge #188

Entrants may submit one or two images. I will name a winner, first runner-up, and second runner-up after the Challenge ends on Tuesday, August 4, at 2100 UTC (5 p.m. ET). The winner will provide the image for the next challenge within five days. Otherwise, the runner-up takes over.

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I call these. The shot behind the shot.

LR5 + Perfect Effects

• Like Like x 1
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa

I didn't want to touch cropping, as that's "personal" ... but as a "darkroom worker" I'd have probably printed like this

converted in photomatix, less than 5 minutes ginning about with "look"

Here is the xmp data:

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/'>
    <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf=''>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about=''
    <pmtm:Method>Details Enhancer</pmtm:Method>
    <pmtm:Smoothing>Very High</pmtm:Smoothing>
    PS: I deliberately didn't look at anyone elses work (preventing any bias, except of course the original) and now that I see the post above mine I may have gone darker too ... dunno ... different mood.

Hope you fish out one you like :)
  4. Brian Beezley

Feel free to crop away. I almost never crop when I shoot. I leave it for later when I can see on my computer what I've actually got.

This isn't stated in the rules, but I have no problem with anyone deleting or editing an entry. I'll judge whatever I see in this thread when the Challenge closes.

I know how you feel not wanting to bias yourself by looking at other entries. I've done that myself. I've also deleted an entry after I saw how poorly it stacked up against the other entries I refused to look at!

• Like Like x 1
  5. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Two vastly different images for consideration Brian

The first I was trying for the old school red filtered film look with blown highlights, threw in some lens flare, crop to 4x6

Nearly cloned out the 7-11 coffee :)

Next we kept the existing colouring, kept the highlights and threw the rest into the dark for a silhouette look.
    16x9 crop and a flip on the horizontal.

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Similar to some of the other great submissions, a square crop on the photographer and a 16x9 emphasising the curve of the beach into the background.

First is tweaked in Aperture with a dose of AnalogFX

Second is in Aperture with SilverFX

Weirdly, I think the star of the shot is the retro pay-for-view binocular gizmo !
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014

Tone curve, white balance to get it warmer, 3:2 format, a gradient to brighten the sky, recovered highlights on the sea. I wanted to get a balance with the foreground and the far factory(?).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. lahsrah

lahsrah Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2015
    I am a post-processing newbie. Just trying something out for the heck of it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    PS Camera Raw adjustments principally crop to 3:2, Contrast, scaled down highlights on the curves, emphasised the red colour on the cup, spot removal of the sunflare on the trousers and a tiny amount of dehaze. Then Nik Viveza to apply structure and noise adjustments using Nik DFine. The slightly sunny tone was done in PS Camera Raw for no other reason than I just felt like doing it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Well then that was very good.
  11. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    This B&W one's a mixture of PS Camera Raw, Tonality Pro and then LR to deal with the noise, as the Nik Dfine plugin didn't really help me out this time. Regardless of who the winner is, by my average PP standard, I'm actually quite pleased with that!

• Like Like x 1
  12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Using my typical workflow of LR6 >>> Alien Skin Exposure 7 >>> LR6. Both have a 16x9 wide crop and going for a more cinematic feel, although with different color interpretation.

Color #1 (Cold Muted):

Color #2 (Warm Muted w/ Light Source):

• Like Like x 2
  13. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Warmed up a bit and plenty of other fiddling in LR & PS CC

And here, I've brought foreground out...

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tried to restore the colours... pier.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Brian Beezley

First place: bigboysdad B&W
    Second place: EdH #2
    Third place: lahsrah

At one time or other in the last half hour, I had each of you in first place! But that's the order I finally settled on.

What a creative and inventive bunch. I was amazed at the tonal range and detail. Much better than I was able to do myself. Somewhat to my surprise, I found I was pretty sensitive to the exact color cast, and to a lesser extent, the crop.

Here's what I finally wound up with myself a few months ago:

Thanks to everyone for submitting an image. Over to bigboysdad!

• Like Like x 2
  16. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Many thanks Brian, I have to be happy with that, given the quality of all the entries. It's morning here in Sydney, so I'll submit the next entry tonight (in the next 12 hours or so).