1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post-processing challenge #181

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Zeus1, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Here we go again...another challenge for You to fine-tune, improve, make into a piece of art, enjoy Yourselves with!
    In April of this year, we (family of 4, including two 16-year old girls) had the opportunity to visit Jordan. Took the usual 1-week circuit of Jordan, Jerash, Mount Nebo, Kerak , Petra and Wadi Rum, including the private car-cum private driver. One of the better holidays we spent! Everybody friendly and helpful, English everywhere understood and talked, good food, not too pushy in trying to sell superfluous trinkets. Completely safe, no local threat of ISIS, Jordanian people feel "safe and at home". Tourism is 1/4 of its usual level, meaning less tourists, enough space in the hotels, restaurants and touristic sites.
    In any case, if You want to visit Jordan, take at least 2 full days to visit its main attraction, Petra, understandably one of the "wonders of the world".

The picture I'm giving You to work on, is taken in Petra, first climbing to the "High Place" (about 650 marches) and afterwards descending towards Wadi Farasa and the Collonade. When descending the mountain, You meet several Nabatean ruins, including the complex named "House of the Roman Soldier" and "Triclinium" in front of it. This picture was taken looking from Triclinium towards the House of Roman Soldier.

RAW:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ku8jybwdilveov/P4163783.ORF?dl=0

JPG:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/34v3ch6uokffx9j/P4163783.jpg?dl=0

I will close this challenge on Thursday 06/25th.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Lovely image to play with.

Color:

Monochrome:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  3. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    My take:
    #181.

• Like Like x 4
  4. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Trying some different crops

Vertical 4x5 on the opening + messing with the exposure a bit to bring out the background in Aperture.

P4163783%252520-%252520Version%2525202.

A 16x9 to compress the horizontal view and a slightly sepia view in Aperture.

P4163783.

• Like Like x 4
  6. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Decided to go square:

P4163783-sq-ed.

• Like Like x 6
  7. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    and a portrait format b&w. I enlarged the background within its frame to bring it forward.

P4163783-bw-ed.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

• Like Like x 6
  9. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Nice picture of what must have been a great trip. A straightforward and natural rendering from my part, mainly working with the curve:

P4163783 copy.

• Like Like x 4
  10. "...of what must have been a great trip"

One of the best trips I everemade. Kids loved it. Should be on Your bucket list.

11. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  12. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Would love to visit... nice image to work with.

I've been experimenting in LR with getting that faded look.

P4163783.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

• Like Like x 4
  15. Thanks to all who participated!
    I'm impressed with the results You got from my RAW exposure: this was in fact the first in a series of 5 exposures I made in order to run em through Photomatix for HDR rendering. Probably testifies to the impressive dynamic results the Olympus sensor and modern software is capable of.
    Now for my hugely personal voting:
    - 3rd in line is Edh for his square crop
    - 2nd in line WhidbeyLVR (but very close to number one)
    - overall winner this time tyrphoto with the color version. I was immediately struck by the color rendering which is completely 100% life-like.

Over to You, tyrphoto, to host the next competition.

I will be absent for some time from this forum: traveling through West-USA visiting all the parks and not certain of internet access.

16. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Thank you Zeus1. As always, there were great entries in this challenge and it's always an honor to have been selected in the top 3, no less the winner.

Challenge No.182 has already been posted.