1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post-Processing Challenge #179

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by EdH, Jun 12, 2015.

1. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I shot this with my E-PM1 and O17 f1.8 on the way back to work after lunch. I haven't been happy with anything I've been able to do with it. Maybe you lot can do better.

P6030252_1024px.

I'll go with Brian's simplified rules:

Simplified Rules for Post-Processing Challenge #179

Entrants may submit one or two images. I will name a winner, first runner-up, and second runner-up after the Challenge ends on Monday, June 15, at 12.30 BST (11.30 GMT). The winner will provide the image for the next challenge within five days. Otherwise, the runner-up takes over.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dy6dubvvkwbsnmi/P6030252.ORF?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okfo0rvgu9h395i/P6030252.JPG?dl=0

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Color:

Monochrome:

• Like Like x 6
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I haven't participated in one of these for a while.

I surprised how much detail it was possible to recover in the highlights. Branches and bushes used to frame the scene

P6030252.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    First is run through the Legoizer and it has created a 160x112cm image utilising around 7000 bricks (I have the manifest if anyone wants to build this).
    download (1).
    Second is through Film DxO with a Velvia filter - tweaked to squash the foreground and emphasise the background with some added grain.
    P6030252.JPG
    Both of these were with the jpeg. Surprising amount of detail to be had in there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    For me the 'frame' held more interest than the view, so I focused on that.

challenge179.

Basic exposure adjustments/clarity and curve added in DXO. Selective dodging, slight vignette, saturation adjustment and 'orton effect' (sharpened screen layer overlayed by gaussian blur) in PSE. I enjoyed playing with this one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Cropped to 16:9 and applied graduated filter & contrast in Camera Raw, then used smart sharpen in PS. Could have done more, but still feeling my way around PS.

P6030252(1).

• Like Like x 2
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
  9. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

P6030252a.

Second try: enhance cloud detail.

Brian

• Like Like x 3
  10. LarsB

LarsB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2013
    Umeå, Sweden
    First time in this game so be nice.... I wanted to enhance the standing in the shadow looking at a sunny landscape that is slightly too bright for your eyes - feeling

18777554845_9fa7041dbc_b. 03062015-P6030252.jpg by Lars Björkelid, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  11. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    My first entry in a PP contest. Let's see if i've learned anything. I enjoyed working on this. I did a few LR adjustments with highlights and shadows and then used Nik's Viveza for a little selective brightening and toning down of blown highlights, then Color Efex Pro (Graduated Neutral Density Filter for the sky, a bit of Foliage filter to bring out the leaves, selective use of Detail Extractor and a bit of vignette)- I love the framing of the shot.

I tried to recreate what the scene might have looked like in person (in my imagination, anyway)- the blue sky, the foliage near the edges, etc. while keeping the frame darker than the much brighter center. I also wanted to enhance the sense of dappled light leading you toward the bright meadow.

P6030252-Edit-Edit.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I went for as natural as possible, with careful WB, contrast, and curve tweaking in ACR. Finished with a 4:5 crop and smart sharpen in Photoshop.

P6030252 copy.

• Like Like x 6
  13. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    1st place: Conrad
    2nd place: WendyK
    3rd place: Tyrphoto B&W

Conrad, it doesn't look PP'd, more like I took a better photo!
    WendyK, I really liked yours, with your attention to the lighting, but the sky was just a bit too strong for me
    Tyrphoto, I particularly liked the detail that came out of the gate and foreground, it draws the eye, but once again the sky was a little to strong for me

Thanks to everyone for your entries.

Over to Conrad for the next challenge...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for the kind words. I'll post a new challenge in a couple of minutes.