Post-Processing Challenge #179

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by EdH, Jun 12, 2015.

1. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I shot this with my E-PM1 and O17 f1.8 on the way back to work after lunch. I haven't been happy with anything I've been able to do with it. Maybe you lot can do better.

P6030252_1024px.jpg

I'll go with Brian's simplified rules:

Simplified Rules for Post-Processing Challenge #179

Entrants may submit one or two images. I will name a winner, first runner-up, and second runner-up after the Challenge ends on Monday, June 15, at 12.30 BST (11.30 GMT). The winner will provide the image for the next challenge within five days. Otherwise, the runner-up takes over.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dy6dubvvkwbsnmi/P6030252.ORF?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okfo0rvgu9h395i/P6030252.JPG?dl=0

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    • Like Like x 6
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I haven't participated in one of these for a while.

I surprised how much detail it was possible to recover in the highlights. Branches and bushes used to frame the scene

P6030252.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

P6030252.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    First is run through the Legoizer and it has created a 160x112cm image utilising around 7000 bricks (I have the manifest if anyone wants to build this).
    download (1).png
    Second is through Film DxO with a Velvia filter - tweaked to squash the foreground and emphasise the background with some added grain.
    P6030252.JPG
    Both of these were with the jpeg. Surprising amount of detail to be had in there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    For me the 'frame' held more interest than the view, so I focused on that.

challenge179.jpg

Basic exposure adjustments/clarity and curve added in DXO. Selective dodging, slight vignette, saturation adjustment and 'orton effect' (sharpened screen layer overlayed by gaussian blur) in PSE. I enjoyed playing with this one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Cropped to 16:9 and applied graduated filter & contrast in Camera Raw, then used smart sharpen in PS. Could have done more, but still feeling my way around PS.

P6030252(1).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    P6030252-Edit.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

P6030252a.jpg

Second try: enhance cloud detail.

Brian

• Like Like x 3
  10. LarsB

LarsB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2013
    Umeå, Sweden
    First time in this game so be nice.... I wanted to enhance the standing in the shadow looking at a sunny landscape that is slightly too bright for your eyes - feeling

18777554845_9fa7041dbc_b.jpg 03062015-P6030252.jpg by Lars Björkelid, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  11. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    My first entry in a PP contest. Let's see if i've learned anything. I enjoyed working on this. I did a few LR adjustments with highlights and shadows and then used Nik's Viveza for a little selective brightening and toning down of blown highlights, then Color Efex Pro (Graduated Neutral Density Filter for the sky, a bit of Foliage filter to bring out the leaves, selective use of Detail Extractor and a bit of vignette)- I love the framing of the shot.

I tried to recreate what the scene might have looked like in person (in my imagination, anyway)- the blue sky, the foliage near the edges, etc. while keeping the frame darker than the much brighter center. I also wanted to enhance the sense of dappled light leading you toward the bright meadow.

P6030252-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I went for as natural as possible, with careful WB, contrast, and curve tweaking in ACR. Finished with a 4:5 crop and smart sharpen in Photoshop.

P6030252 copy.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  13. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    1st place: Conrad
    2nd place: WendyK
    3rd place: Tyrphoto B&W

Conrad, it doesn't look PP'd, more like I took a better photo!
    WendyK, I really liked yours, with your attention to the lighting, but the sky was just a bit too strong for me
    Tyrphoto, I particularly liked the detail that came out of the gate and foreground, it draws the eye, but once again the sky was a little to strong for me

Thanks to everyone for your entries.

Over to Conrad for the next challenge...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for the kind words. I'll post a new challenge in a couple of minutes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.