1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #143

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by bigboysdad, Dec 26, 2014.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Just your everyday chess in the park photo, only this one’s underexposed in parts and framed terribly as a result of the shot being rushed. If composition isn’t respected properly, the Oly 12 will soon find you out. Because of the quality of the lens, this can often be covered up through post processing, the question is, can this one? Have fun post processing and thanks to anyone that has a go at this busy time of year.

PB141338.JPG

Shot in Sydney earlier this year at 1/80, f8 and base iso 200 so in theory there’s as much detail as the camera can give.

The RAW file is here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftdslrihuh41q2d/PB141338.ORF?dl=0

and the JPEG here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k0g66d0m6oa66o/untitled-1.JPG?dl=0

Good luck to everyone and I will close the competition some time on Monday 29th December 2014.

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

2. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Couldn't sleep......so I thought I'd give it a quick go on my iPad.
    image150.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

4. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Brian, your processed image is so much better than mine, you're going to "force me" :smile: (if I can get the time) to get on my desktop and process the raw file. Even then, I doubt I'd match your effort.

Seriously, nice job.....especially because of the challenging lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I laughed when I read your comment. I am such a beginner.

I neglected to say what I did. The Increase Local Contrast function in Image Analyzer had the biggest effect. I set the Contrast Neighbourhood Size (the area over which contrast is boosted) quite small to try to equalize the intensity of the dappled light, which clashed with the chessboard pattern. The program has a button you can push to instantly compare before/after. That function made a dramatic difference.

Here's a link to Image Analyzer:

http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/

I love these challenges. I get to see techniques I would never dream up myself and I get exposed to styles very different from my own.

Brian

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK so went even more 'old school' on this one... still just Aperture... but just a crop, minimal highlight recovery and exposure boost, a straight b/w conversion then some dodging and burning.

This was my second atempt

PB1413381.

After cropping and b/w this was my initial burn ( Darken) layer

and my initial dodge (Lighten) layer

[​IMG]

and these were a couple of additional dodges and burns

By no means a perfect PP... but my idea was to create some kind of visual focus on an image that lacked a focus.... both subject wise and lens wise..

seriously I would have expected better from that lens at those values

Try and get closer to the subject next time... 12mm is not a good street lens

happy new year

K

• Like Like x 4
  7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Been busy the last few weeks so it was nice to have some time to play

16115248115_a004fb92aa_b. mu43-ppc143 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

ACR work was mainly to get exposure balanced and detail out of the shadows.

PS6 - flipped image, perspective correction, 16x9 crop, wanted to include the steps leading away but hated the light pole with sign, a little bit more with exposure and contrast then a resize and light sharpen.

i think that is most of the work

• Like Like x 5
  8. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    These entries just keep getting better and better!

Kevin, very nice of you to visually show your processing steps with this image. AussiePhil and yourself consistently turn in some of the best efforts in these challenges.

If you don't mind, I have a question. It seems you are fortunate enough to travel a fair bit, and you list either Gent or Glasgow as your location. Are either of these cities your primary residence, or is it somewhere else entirely? Just curious, and I understand if you do not wish to respond.

• Like Like x 2
  9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hats off aussiPhil you found the image!!!

weird that flipping can change the whole thing

K

• Like Like x 1
  10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    with all credit to Aussie phil... here is my second submission.... completely changes the story... the girl on the left in the original was interesting but detached ... this way round she is the story

PB141338_1_.

K

• Like Like x 1
  11. minibokeh

minibokeh Guest

- Piccure Plus for sharpening
    - FilterForge 4 Intensafier
    - Alienskin modified wet plate and light effects (~70%-ish)
    - Photoshop render filter
    - selective masking and layer transparency all throughout (Photoshop)

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/101667287@N08/16116376652" title="PB141338_picc by Moritz Berger, on Flickr">"1024" height="735" alt="PB141338_picc"></a>

12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

thanks for the kind words.

Gent in Belgium is my prime residence, been here for 4 and half years, prior to that Paris for 10 years and Edinburgh for 15 years. My family is in Glasgow where i grew up. I also spend a fair bit of time in LA where my partner is from.

cheers

K

aka International Man of Mystery !!

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Bump.

OK, now that I've done that, I must say....impressive entries here (and processing explanations).

Evidently, the more worse the image put forward (I only came across it while doing the quarterly cull of junk raw files on my hard drive), the more impressive the post processing!

14. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Cropped to make the shot about the old man watching the chess game, selective sharpening and exposure adjustments. Added blur to create depth of field and try to focus the eye on the foreground chess game and the man.

15936440199_3be3b7e87f_b. chess3 by vorlon44, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  15. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Just for fun I added an additional piece to the board for the old man to look at. (Used photoshop).

16122907815_fd4c4af5ce_b. chess4 by vorlon44, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  16. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Well still wasn't happy with the first one so went back for another look as I felt it needed a more panoramic look

15937399690_3bda9ac0d9_b. PPC143 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

ACR:
    Expos: +1.05
    Contrast: +32
    Highlights: -100
    Shadows: +48
    Whites: +29
    Blacks: -8
    Clarity: +14
    Vibrance: +6
    Sat: +5
    Shatpened and slight noise reduction despite the iso 200 setting

PS6:
    Flip horizontal
    perspective crop to fix the leaning poles
    then 16*7.5 crop with a slight left to right downward angle to help draw the eye left to right
    a slight bump in vibrance/contrast/sat
    resize to 2560 wide (this is my default flickr size)
    then a unsharp mask at 90/0.8

Cheers

Ps: thanks for the kind comments after the last post

• Like Like x 2
  17. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Ok, results time.

3rd place - Minibokeh for no other reason than his effort reminded me of my parents' old photographs from the 70s/ early 80. I really liked it.

2nd place - Kevinparis, because his (first) effort reflected most accurately the ambience around me at the time the shot was taken.

1st place (obviously) - Aussiephil for that game changer (the first effort was enough, I was happy enough to be left wondering what/ who the various people in the frame were looking at).

Thanks to Scotsman and Brian Beezley for your punchy colourful renditions and vorlon1 for another unique take on the original file. With all these entries I think we can say we all learned something from this challenge, I certainly did, so thanks to everyone for the postings and also for your processing explanations.

Over to Aussiephil for the next challenge.

18. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Thanks bbd,

I had thought about what people where looking at but hadn't really factored it in to the first one as part of the crop reason but going back and looking you are spot on, there is a little mystery about what has caught peoples attention.

If everyone can please give me 24 hrs as I need some time to take a photo to use during the day tomorrow, nearly all my December stuff is Christmas lights (mine) and you may all be xmas'ed out.

Congrats to all the entries and hopefully i can get something interesting for people to work on

Cheers
    Phil

• Like Like x 1