Post Processing Challenge #136

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by esnift, Nov 26, 2014.

1. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    I found this creepy/cool broken down pier while waiting for the ferry at Vason Island, WA. I took about a bajillion (technical term) photos, but just couldn't capture the emotion that went with the whole scene (methinks I needed a tripod and 10stop ND filter). I dislike this photo the least of the bunch, but haven't taken the time to process it yet. Let's see what you make of it:

15259690614_42f12bc953_c.

JPG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/biewlsu7a6n9wli/PA080888.jpg?dl=0

RAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vsn3tbjc7ncyqd/PA080888.ORF?dl=0

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.
    For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****
    At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.
    Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Contest will end 29 Nov 12AM PST.

Have fun and good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

[​IMG]

This is by far the most difficult Challenge I've seen. So many choices! I decided to crop to make the birds more visible, thereby destroying the long horizontal aspect of the pier and much of the interesting transition from the smooth piles to their wavering reflections. I used my usual contrast enhancement, thereby destroying the misty quality of the image. I almost converted the image to black & white, as I usually do for images with little color, to emphasize the form. But I really like the green of the railing, which my contrast enhancement seems to have made more intense. I used a higher amount of sharpening than normal to bring out more detail in whatever is clinging to the piles, also reducing the dreamy quality of the image. I included the transition from the background trees to the sky for no reason that I can verbalize. I think each of these choices has at least one viable alternative.

What a challenging image. I'll have to take another shot at it. I'm really looking forward to seeing what other people do with this.

Brian

• Like Like x 4
  3. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Many a time i've had the same technical number and just trashed them as never quite liked them. This one was a challenge.

ACR, largely this was remove just about all contrast, highlights,blacks,whites, i was aiming to make it really dull overcast. next was some individual colour boosts to find the greens on the pier.
    Next in PS, a 16:9 crop more hue and saturation, then a straight inversion for something different and desaturate.
    a resize and sharpen and here we are

15883264175_b973c949de_b. PPC135 Photo by esnift by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  4. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

5. Two variations on the same theme:

#1 B/W rendition, highly detailed

p304684677-5.

#2 Artistic rendition, pencil drawing:

p167751126-5.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Nebraska
    Phil
    Used to do these competitions a year ago, and I'm back with an abstract!
    PA080888.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ok, first time here so here we go. I like the photo, very strong graphically.

The first one is what I would likely do normally myself and the second was just an impromptu B&W conversion to emphasise the graphics. I don't usually convert to B&W but here I think it works nicely

PA080888-2.jpg by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

PA080888.jpg by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  8. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 4
  9. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  10. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Lots of great entries already. I knew this would be a challenging image but I had faith in you guys. Still 48 hours to go.

11. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I really needed to change the aspect ratio. I don't know if I'm doing this right; first time. Sorry if this is wrong image206.

• Like Like x 3
  12. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    About 12 hours to go. Still time for a few more entries.

13. monowav

monowav Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Jake
    • Like Like x 3
  14. minibokeh

minibokeh Guest

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/101667287@N08/15715071449" title="PA080888 by Moritz Berger, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="PA080888"></a>

15. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    2nd runner up: TassieFig entry #2

1st runner up: Mogul

Winner: minibokeh

This hits spot on with what I would have wanted the image to portray. I often rather prefer interpretations that contrast with my own, but in this case you really nailed it for me. Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Like Like x 4
  16. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    congrats minibokeh, it's a great edit, cheers