Post Processing Challenge #134

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by minibokeh, Nov 14, 2014.

1. minibokeh

minibokeh Guest

This shouldn't be too hard ... almost any picture taken in the Grand Tetons is a keeper, right?
    Equipment used: Panasonic GM-1 (I had accidentally left my E-M1 at home, can you believe it ...), Panasonic 7-14mm f/4.0 (12mm, 1/250s, f/6.3, ISO 200).

<a href="" title="_1030687 by Moritz Berger, on Flickr">[​IMG]"769" height="1024" alt="_1030687"></a>

Hi-res image links:

JPEG created with DXO 10 at default settings, Capture One 8 doesn't support the GM-1 ...

Submission deadline is Monday 11/17, 6pm Seattle time (GMT-8).

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Here is my first try: Silver Fx and LR, and cropped to 1:1

• Like Like x 1
  3. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    My second entry - With this I played around a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. minibokeh

minibokeh Guest

I like it, we're definitely getting into Twin Peaks territory here :)
  5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Opened raw file in LR5. I chose to crop the picture to focus on the main structure - I thought black & white would also focus more attention on it was well, more so than the green surroundings as per the original colour image. From LR5, opened up SEP2 and applied high structure preset, cranked up structure even more after that, applied Fujifilm ISO 100 film type, then canopy toning. Finished off in LR5 with sharpening, masking and vignetting, then exporting to a 1.5mb jpeg for uploading here. Only took a minute or 2 this time, unlike the last challenge I did set by Kevin Paris, where you really had to battle with your LR5 skills without getting away with the use of external plugins.

• Like Like x 6
  6. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Well I've said it before I'm not a B/W person but this is one that seems to work, wasn't happy with the colour edit so did a convert in PS.
    Initial processes was in ACR with 4 different grad filters applied to try and recover sky and get back some contrast in the forest after the initial pull down of the highlights, the dark and stormy look suits it I think

[​IMG]_1030687bw by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

I was going to add the colour one but think I'll have another go at it yet...

• Like Like x 4
  7. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
  8. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
  9. nang3

nang3 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2013
  10. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Why has no one else noticed the fading "Dark Mark" in the top right?! The poor stick is trying its darnedest to point straight at it:

[​IMG]PPC #134 entry 1

(or maybe I'm just getting excited for the annual family Harry-Potter-marathon that tends to happen during Thanksgiving)
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Ok, time to change things up. I went a "little crazy", but also had some fun with this image. Both of my submissions could be seen as etchings perhaps, but both also lean toward the abstract side of things.

No. 1 (square crop):

No. 2 (vertical crop):
    • Like Like x 2
  12. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

13. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
  14. minibokeh

minibokeh Guest

Thanks to all participants, many great contributions.
    The winner is Zeus1 - based on original thinking.
    Honorable mention to dbuckle - esp. like the first picture based on the way it retains the elements of the original and emphasizes its elements in the monochromatic rendition.
  15. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Congrats to the winner.
    • Like Like x 1