1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #131

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by kevinparis, Oct 30, 2014.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    We seem to have had a lot of landscapes recently, so for a change lets have a bit of night time street photography instead... give you a chance to try out your dodging and burning and noise control or indeed any kind of processing you like. There is a worked version of this on my Flickr page, but will be curious to see what your take on it will be

Shot in Florence last month with OMD and 17/1.8 at 6400 ISO

P9280051_-_Version_2.jpg

the RAW file is here

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8223192/P9280051.ORF

and the JPEG here

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8223192/P9280051.jpg

Good luck to everyone and I will close the competition some time on Sunday afternoon Central European time

Kevin

PS I am brining back the Rules :)

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

[​IMG]

"Yes, I'm eating meat. So what?"

Olympus Viewer 3:
    Crop
    Sharpness -2, fine adj -2
    Noise filter off
    Monochrome
    Gamma 1.1
    Color balance, green -95
    Tilt -0.8 deg

Image Analyzer:
    Resize to 1024 pixels tall
    Limit Sharpen IIR, filter strength 2, highpass filter size 4, min/max filter size 10

Brian

• Like Like x 3
  3. I'm calling this one "Waiting for the wife".

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Brian Beezley

We have the bear in common. Clearly he is key to the photo.

I took one look at the washed-out interior and decided there was no way I was going to tackle it. I'm impressed with what you did with it.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  5. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Bear? Looks more like a wild hogs head to me!

dp

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Beezley

I wish I could say that I meant to type boar instead of bear and it was a simple typo, but you're quite right! I thought his eyes were behind the lower sunglasses.

Well, that changes everything. Back to the post-processing drawing board.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the over exposed interior was part of the reason I chose this image... there is a surprising amount of info in there.... well there is with the RAW... not so sure with the JPEG as I never shoot JPEG:)

K

8. Brian Beezley

[​IMG]

This is the clipping indicator in Olympus Viewer 3 with a threshold of 255. Notice the yellow and white in the upper back and sleeve of the woman's shirt and how natural Zeus1's recovery looks.

Brian

• Like Like x 3
  9. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    VSCO + Colour Efex

I was glad of the opportunity to play with your EM1 file :) I didn't change that much except to put one of them through Nik define to see what the noise reduction might be like. I used VSCO presets and some Colour Efex. Pretty impressive for iso 6400.

P9280051-Edit-4-Edit1.jpg

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Christilou

many thank for your submissions.. they are fine interpretations of my image... though I humbly suggest that relying on preset filters is not the best route to understanding how to get the best out of an image.

I use no presets on any of my images - certainly none in the last 5 years. all my images on Flickr or indeed any of my PP challenge entries have been done in Aperture and Aperture only... I suspect I would have got similar results in Lightroom too

this is not a personal dig at you, but in the spirit of mutual education it is useful to step away from the crutch of the preset and understand whatt you are doing to an image

K

• Like Like x 2
  11. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  12. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  13. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    My first time participating in a challenge (using Lightroom). I have never calibrated my monitor so these may look like garbage in real life haha!

I found the guy tending to his itchy ear a little distracting, but I wish I could have kept the poster with the lady offering that slice of prosciutto so elegantly. I opted to focus on the guy pausing mid-bite.

Both versions are cropped to a 1:1 ratio and straightened. In the color version I used a brush to lower the yellow cast of the interior of the shop. I lowered the highlights, increased the shadows, increased clarity (+31) as well as vibrance (+4, maybe I shouldn't have) and Saturation (+5, maybe I shouldn't have, either). There is also some noise reduction.

P9280051-1-3.jpg

In the BW version I kept it mostly the same except I bumped up the clarity even more and did some split toning (Highlights to Hue:47 and Saturation:22).

P9280051-1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Well, I'm impressed with all so far, this is going to be hard to compete.... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 3
  16. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  17. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    This was interesting with some really good work already from others

First one.
    8*10 crop, major exposure adjustments in ACR, tried to balance the inside of the shop to the guys outside, this on got a a warming filter and then a slight colour balance to hold the deep blues on the guy with the sandwich, the crop left the door edge on the left in the image to give context.
    15487373917_0951745ecc_b.jpg MU43 PPC131 -2 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

For the second we took a 2*3 crop to leave give three distinct areas with both left right leading you into the store, after most of the same exposure adjustments as the first one we then used a sepia filter to give old school look and feel to match the store.
    15053211313_d41c7aca21_b.jpg MU43 PPC131 -1 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

In both we have cropped the guy on the far right out as he kept pulling the eyes to the right away from distant point inside the shop

Cheers and thanks.
    Phil

• Like Like x 5
  18. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Same crop / imported in OV3 (exported as 16 Bit TIFF) / basic global settings adjusted in LR / NIK Define / SEF Pro. Slightly different tonal mix in final stage.

[​IMG]

PP_131-2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I think the winning image will be properly photoshopped and as alluded to earlier in the thread, I don't think Lightroom's going to cut it. I'm certainly not a professional by any description, so don't use PS and so this lightroom effort will have to do. The most obvious adjustment was of course to clip the highlights, but I also attempted some minor toning in SEP2. Also tried to apply structure to the meats in the background behind the guys, but this didn't really make much difference. There was no chance of me being completely able to atone for the noise which you would expect at the sort of darkness the shot was taken. (Btw, nice to see the op getting the ever so slight flare from the oly 17 - it's not just me then).

P9280051-Edit-2.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  20. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Whilst I haven't earned the right to be the judge here, it does seem as if AussiePhil is winning this - if you look at the noise treatment and the fact that the lady at the bar is clearly visible and looking at the camera, that does seem to be processing we can all learn from.