1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post-Processing Challenge #130

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Zeus1, Oct 26, 2014.

1. I searched my recent photos in order to find something really interesting...but failed.
    The only thing possibly worthwhile could be the following picture of Helmcken Falls in Wells Gray Provincial park, British Columbia. I tried removing the purplish colour cast and the noise in the important shadow area at the base of the falls. Perhaps one of you can tell me how to do it ?

The rules: see all the prior competitions (who reads this stuff anyway?)

RAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/824cgubufb1iuux/P8208835.ORF?dl=0

JPG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hs1hvf0pqf5nxw/P8208835.jpg?dl=0

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

[​IMG]

First try: Load RAW into Olympus Viewer 3. Set sharpness and fine adjustment to -2. Enable Auto Tone Correction. Export 16-bit TIFF to Image Analyzer. Resize to 1050 pixels high. Invoke Increase Local Contrast with default parameters. Sharpen with Limit Sharpen IIR with Strength 2, Highpass Filter Size 4, and Min/Max Filter Size 10. Export maximum-quality JPG.

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    A quick phone rendition.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

Attached Files:

4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Again stretched my Raw processing in ACR to extract as much as possible before getting into PS, no secondary tools used. Key thing was to raise the shadows as far as allowed then balance the exposure for the rocks on the left. then ran a fairly aggressive luminance noise reduction to remove some of the shadow noise.

Straighten and crop done in PS, sadly I lost too much sky on the straighten and decided to crop to just the waterfall.

15636830741_02f5862432_b. mu43 ppc130 image by Zeus1 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Edits in Aperture, straightened and auto-enhanced.

First, 4x5 vertical crop, tweaked exposure before putting it through a classic-camera filter.

Second, SilverFX with Agfapan preset and some added vignette and some tweaks to bring out the detail in the shadows.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    couple of takes using Aperture

used the tint wheels in the Enhance section to move the shadow and midtones away from magenta

rest is some curves and dodge and burns

P82088351.

P8208835_-_Version_2.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brian Beezley

[​IMG]

Changes from first try:

Olympus Viewer 3:
    CA R/C -100 to reduce red fringing on the left side of the waterfall and on the dead branches in the lower left.
    6500K white balance to make the dirt color more realistic.
    Tilt -3 degrees to level the soil strata.
    Horizontal keystone correction with strength -35, crop 40, to straighten the trees in the upper left and right.

Image Analyzer:
    Adaptive noise reduction using the Gaussian filter with default parameters to reduce noise in the cavern.

The tilt and keystone corrections caused unintentional cropping.

I'm posting this now to force myself to stop fiddling with it!

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  8. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  9. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
  10. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Haven't done any pp contest for a while now so I guess its about time again. here's a aggressive crop, processed with snapseed and vscocam.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Last chance to participate.....just a few hours left.

12. Time to close this one.

I really like the second entry of Brian Beezly, nice colours, minimal magenta cast at the base of the falls.

[​IMG]
    First runner up would be the B/W rendition of kevinparis; on the other hand Your colour version seems flat to me.
    Second runner up dbuckle: nice colours also, but not enough detail in the darkest parts IMO

This is my interpretation of the scene:

p26910609-5.

Thanks everyone for Your efforts. What surprises me is the use of widely different software used.

• Like Like x 5
  13. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    congrats Brian, your turn to be on a roll :smile::2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brian Beezley

Thank you, Zeus1! I really enjoyed working on this image and learned a lot, as usual. Such a beautiful waterfall and setting. Where is it located?

Since I just did this a week ago, let me hand the baton over to kevinparis for a fresh perspective.

Thanks again.

Brian

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Congrats Brian

happy to pick up the baton ...let me see what I can find.....

k

• Like Like x 1
  16. @ Brian:
    Wells Gray Provincial Park, British Columbia, Canada. Roughly between Jasper and Whistler. The entrance to the park is in the town of Clearwater. Besides this Helmcken, there is also a Spahat and a Dawson Falls, all different, all beautiful.

• Like Like x 1