1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing and Printing

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by swampduck, Nov 13, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    In the past I have been a huge stickler for PP before any kind of display, web or print. I still do, but now I find myself doing it on my Ipad using Snapseed more than anything else, almost exclusively. I have had a few printed out, nothing more then 5x7 and occasional 8x10. How many of you are spending less time in front of a "computer" processing images before display and more time on a medium like a tablet? I don't feel like I am missing much at all this way in terms of usability/viewability in final output.
    The only thing I am finding I need the computer for is blending images or HDR work. Am I a lone wolf in this, or are people finding this a more common avenue?

This is an example..I used my Ipad + Snapseed to PP and send off to print

Attached Files:

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would be curious to see this image processed with desktop software for comparison. As a rule, I process my images in Lightroom. I could see if time and tools were not available that one could use a tablet, but I like working in a desktop environment with calibrated monitors since I print many of my images at 11x14 or larger. If I was truly wanting to get images out quickly, I would probably try to set my camera's jpeg engine to my preferences. I love my tablet, but it really is a last resort for me right now with respect to post-processing.

--Ken

3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Replytoken,

I will process this on my computer and post the results

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks, Dan. It is a very nice image, but it seems just a touch soft for my taste (although for the subject matter it may not be much of an issue). It is fine for the web, but I would be curious to see how it holds up if you were to print it large. I wonder if the file has suffered a tad from resizing?

--Ken

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

"Beware the woman that hides her wedding ring" someone once told me ...

Such things are either a matter of personal preference or professional requirement so choose accordingly. If you are happy and/or the client is happy then WIN. Critics are never happy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    :flypig:

7. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I am not a professional, just some guy taking random pics of strangers....lol, j/k, this was in Cancun last week with friends.

• Like Like x 1
  8. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I only process on my iPad. Snapseed is my go to app for the finishing touches. I raw edit with Photogene then open in Snapseed. This is the only workflow I have ever used since picking up a camera back in 2010.

Dan check out my blog (in the signature), I have a workflow that I have posted back in Feb of this year. I am in the middle of tweaking it as I have cut off a few steps in the flow. I have tried editing on my macbook, but after doing it on my iPad for so long, it just felt un-natural. Something about editing on the ipad just feels better. Could be me... You are not a lone wolf, just someone who can see the benefit of using a platform like a tablet for this type of work. I have had inquires on my work on how I processed it in LR. When I tell them I used my iPad & Snapseed they are truly surprised.

Anyhow.. Good work!

• Like Like x 2
  9. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have printed a few of my images up to 12 x 16 all processed on the ipad. They look great to me and to the person I sold the image too. So getting the image ready for print is very doable on tab. I used aperture on the macbook to print to my Canon Pixma 100-Pro..

• Like Like x 1
  10. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Edwardconde, reading the blog now. I like it, got some good ideas. Thank you so much for sharing
    ImageUploadedByMu-431384371416.406263.

• Like Like x 1
  11. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    THanks Dan!.. Hit me up any time you have questions..

12. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    edwardconde I saw your pics on Flickr, referring to your blog post on editing RAW on the iPad. Great stuff!!

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't print anything small - any prints I make these days are usually bigger than 8 x 10". I don't have a tablet, don't plan on one. For web I'll occasionally edit on the laptop (not a great screen, good enough, usually pull it through DxO and be done with it), for print I take the time to sit in front of the desktop with a calibrated IPS screen and correct brightness. Optimal print settings, for me, mean an image that looks a little too bright and a little oversharpened for web use. I like Nik's sharpener for this kind of thing, because you can set your print size and medium, and the software applies sharpening to suit (plus local adjustment so you don't sharpen skies and things that shouldn't have sharp detail in them..)

14. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Never used snapseed but your image here is not exactly a ringing endorsement for it. It is soft and the skin tones are not accurate or very pleasing. These lovely ladies look a bit green. Even in the most sophisticated PPD software both results could occur. But since you have used this image as an example of how snapseed fulfills all your needs, I have to point out those two problems. Of course, from what you have said, since it is a snapshot and not a portrait intended for sale, if you as the photographer and the subjects are perfectly happy with it, then snapseed has succeeded.

15. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I decided to process one of the pics here in this thread. I processed it again in LR4 using some presets a user here created. The results are clearly different. Also noted that Snapseed seems to add some saturation as noted in the sky. I need to work on my Ipad processing skills, or, rethink the whole Ipad processing idea.

Processed on Ipad with Snapseed
    ImageUploadedByMu-431384371416.406263.

Processed in LR4
    20131110-035.

16. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Upon further review, I might have to agree with you. I am going to process the ladies again in LR4 and see what happens.

17. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA

• Like Like x 1
  18. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    edwardconde,

I agree 100%, and I would rather do my editing on an Ipad. I just need to work on my skills on that medium I guess. I also reprocessed the first picture in the post in LR4. I did process both for jpeg, I didn't add any filters in the LR4 edit like I did in the Snapseed edit. So there is that. I just have to re-learn to PP. Still not giving up the Ipad processing though, just need to re-think it.

• Like Like x 1