1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Post-Process Challenge #277

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by dbuckle, Sep 28, 2016.

1. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Taken near Long Point on Lake Erie.
    29688740470_eb7dde8e6d_h. P7023572 by Dave Buckle, on Flickr

29688740470_38139a7587_o. P7023572
    by Dave Buckle, on Flickr

Will end at noon on Monday Oct 3rd.
    "Legal" fine print:
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by XXXXX over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 2
  4. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

I stayed with LRCC for this one, starting by cropping, spotting and chopping the top off the radio aerial to keep it in the frame, a grad filter on the sky and a radial one around the boat so that I could bring it forward from the background. Then some local brushwork, gentle sharpening (trying to avoid the halos I often seem to get editing JPEGs) and noise reduction on the shadows before adjusting the white balance to warm the image slightly - while trying to keep the whites white.
    Erie-001.
    Original at Flickr

Then I thought this mono look suited the image:
    Erie mono.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  5. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    All in Gimp. Cropped and chopped. Adjusted exposure. Got rid of the net. Moved the tree. Replaced the sky.

Color
    PPC277.

B&W (Silver Efex Pro 2)
    PPC277BW.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    up periscope!

UpPeriscope.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    basic 6x4 crop and some oil painting in PS6
    ppc277.

• Like Like x 3
  9. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Playing with silver efx
    ppc277bw.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Pastor Vic

Pastor Vic New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2016
    What do you mean by "a
    radial one around the boat so that I could bring it forward from the background."

11. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Regular

Hi Vic,
    LR's radial filter allows one to isolate part of an image, in this case the boat, so that any exposure, colour, saturation, sharpening/noise reduction adjustments, etc., can be applied to that area only - helping to make it stand out from the background - and conversely to be applied only to the background to make that recede further. It's simple trick I use often so I recommend searching Anthony Morganti's YouTube for tutorials if you're starting out with Lightroom.
    Hope that helps!

12. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wonderful and creative work by all. I had a hard time making up my mind but decided that the B&W by WhidbeyLVR to be the winner this time round. It your turn Lyle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Thanks, Dave. I had almost forgotten about this.

I also thought there were some great entries. I particularly liked Phil's oil painting treatment. I thought it worked exceedingly well with this image.

I'll get a new challenge up soon.

14. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Hey thanks Lyle :) I haven't had a lot of time up my sleeve lately.
    Cheers and congrats on the B/W winner