Post on 43Rumors about JIP plans for Olympus Imaging Division

Koru

Mu-43 Regular
Only interesting tidbit there was the notion of dropping the brand name. If they do, whatever did they buy it for in the first instance? Unless they already own some old German brand name to whip out on the stupid notion that it will sell based on that.
Dropping the Olympus name would be incredibly dumb!!!!!

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Aside from new products going forward it'll be interesting to see how branding and packaging looks going forward. Olympus Holdings still holds a 5% stake in the new company (which is good, they should still have a vested interest imo) but I'm interested to see if their cameras still have Olympus branding on them, particularly the stamp on the front.

M. Zuiko branding probably won't change much, if at all.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Had another thought about this last night.

There's information here we and the press just aren't privy to. For all we all know, the new company might have permission to use the Olympus brand name and there's signed NDAs all over the place that prohibit anyone from talking to it.

We just don't know.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Change probably won't be so apparent from a consumer standpoint. Major changes are happening but likely it will be mostly behind the scenes, beneath the surface. We talk a lot about it as camera geeks, but average consumer might not notice any differences. I'm guessing the Olympus brand will still be used on new cameras and lenses.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Change probably won't be so apparent from a consumer standpoint. Major changes are happening but likely it will be mostly behind the scenes, beneath the surface. We talk a lot about it as camera geeks, but average consumer might not notice any differences. I'm guessing the Olympus brand will still be used on new cameras and lenses.
If they move factories and change the manufacturing/quality systems it could have a very big impact.
One thing I have learn't working in the Pharmaceutical industry is once a company has been sold off, you no longer purchase from them until you do at least a paper based audit on the new owners to see what accreditations they hold, and to see if they have changed the raw materials / components.

Unfortunately as the general public we may never know anything that really matters with regard to the quality of products coming from the new company until they start to show up in forums etc.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
I did a bit of a domain search on variants of omdigital.com and ondigitalsolutions.com to see if I could find any hints as to whether or not they'll use a different brand name.

I got nothing.

Even if it turns out they can't use the Olympus brand name (which seems unlikely the more I think about it) there'll probably be a grace period (probably 3-5 years) or they'll have an agreement where they can use it for existing products, even if they're manufacturered after the sale. So the Olympus brand name won't be dropped (if at all) until the next generation of camera is out.

I still think the Olympus name will stick around though.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Even if it turns out they can't use the Olympus brand name (which seems unlikely the more I think about it) there'll probably be a grace period (probably 3-5 years) or they'll have an agreement where they can use it for existing products, even if they're manufacturered after the sale. So the Olympus brand name won't be dropped (if at all) until the next generation of camera is out.

I still think the Olympus name will stick around though.

https://petapixel.com/2021/02/08/om...etails-of-olympus-sale-promises-new-products/

“At least for the time being, we will use ‘Olympus,'” he said. “However, it is better to move away from Olympus as an entity and continue to work under the name Olympus? I want to think about it.”

Latest threads

Top Bottom