Possible to use Vintage Optical Viewfinder on Digital PEN

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jimithing616, Apr 19, 2013.

1. jimithing616

jimithing616 New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2013
    Here is my question, I have some old viewfinders that fit into the hot shoe. I have some old yashica ones labelled "wide angle" and "Tele" that are for add on (screw on) wide/tele lenses made for the Yashica Electro Non-interchangeable lens Rangefinders...

I am wondering if these MAY work with one of my lenses that are at the same relative focal length as one of my lenses would crop out to be on my E-PM1...

Is it possible? has anyone tried this with any success?

My next question would be, what are my native viewfinder options? I know there is a VF, VF2, VF3... are there any third party ones made in china? or cheaper options? Do the Panasonic ones work on Olympus ? If so, which models do you recommend...

Basically fill me in on the differences of the optional VF's and then let me know which one is best in your opinion.

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    With regard to the vintage Yashica finder, I think you will want to be careful that the hot-shoe foot doesn't short the contacts in the hot-shoe on the camera. I don't know for a fact that this would cause a problem, but I would not want to find out the hard way.
  3. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
  4. jimithing616

jimithing616 New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2013
    no one else has an opinion on this or any experience? If you go to cameraquest they sell their voightlander OVF's specifically for the use on NEX and RD1 cameras, they are also metal, so I dont think I would worry about it shorting out the hot shoe, especially since on the NEX I BELIEVE there is no power to the actual shoe, power and connection is supplied by the accessory port located behind the actual shoe itself. here is a link to cameraquests page showing the viewfinders and their recommendations for using them on NEX cameras

Voigtlander Viewfinders - Stephen Gandy's CameraQuest
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Just find a similar focal length and use it for framing only. Do not use a 2x crop factor if comparing with 35mm film as you will lose frame if you do that. Use a 1.7x crop and omit some off the long ends.

These OVFs are only good for framing though. Make sure you're using an AF lens. There's really not much practical use to it, unless you're after that nostalgic look and feel. There's a reason there was only one ever made by Olympus for the Pen system. ;)
  6. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I had a Helios finder when I had my lovely GF1. I didn't find it particularly satisfactory, but others have better experiences.

Since I changed to the G3, I find I use the EVF all the time - never the screen - except when I need to shoot things at a funny angle. My success rate with telephotos and legacy/MF lenses has improved dramatically, compared with the GF1. I don't mind the absence of an EVF on my E-PM1, but I only ever use it for wide/standard AF lenses (unless the G3's battery has run out :rolleyes:)