Possible to lock and maintain focus between power cycles-GH3?

tangierc

New to Mu-43
Folks, I pulled out my old GH3 to use as a web camera. However one of the things that bothers me is I have to reset the focus on my Lumix 25mm 1.7 ASPH lens every time I turn the camera on. It's always out of focus and I understand that it being electronic is part of the problem. I am sitting at my desk usually in the same position.

Is there any way to lock the focus in the settings for the camera once I dial it in so that it's ready to go each time I turn it on. It's challenging having to reach for the lens and make adjustments while watching myself on the Zoom preview window because I have to lean forward which sets it out of focus slightly, but I just compensate for when I sit back in my chair a little on the focus ring.

The remote app doesn't help much in this situation either.

tangierc

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you simply leave it in manual focus?
It's always in manual focus. This allows me to make the adjustments each time. This tells me that's it's an electronic issue and/or setting because every time I turn it back on it's out of focus. I hope I'm not going to have to buy a fully manual lens just for this. I bought one of these a while ago and returned it to get the Lumix lens. Now I am thinking I should have kept it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3L7VX1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
It's not an issue, its a "feature" of the body and lens combo. You have a setting to adjust focus with the ring, but it is not the same as a full time mechanical focus setup. Yes, you will need a full time manual lens option (or both like the 17mm Olympus with focus clutch) if you want to avoid selecting focal point every power cycle of your camera.

tangierc

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not an issue, its a "feature" of the body and lens combo. You have a setting to adjust focus with the ring, but it is not the same as a full time mechanical focus setup. Yes, you will need a full time manual lens option (or both like the 17mm Olympus with focus clutch) if you want to avoid selecting focal point every power cycle of your camera.
I thought this may be the case. Thanks. I was hoping that perhaps there'd be a feature that I maybe missed where I could have the camera maintain focal point between power cycles. I can't imagine doing this on a shoot if I power down the camera every so often. Looks like I'll be getting that full time mechanical manual lens.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You can probably get away with focusing the lens, doing aperture preview and partially dismounting the lens by pressing the release rotating it a tiny bit off so it depowers. You'll have fixed focus and aperture then regardless of the camera being power cycled.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
My G80 had a setting under the custom (spanner) menu called Lens Position Resume. When set to on, the lens would resume it's focus setting after power up. I think the function was implemented later than the GH3 though.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom