1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Possible new 400mm F6.7 lens with autofocus

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by verbatimium, Mar 21, 2014.

1. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Ephotozine did their hands on preview of the new Kodak m4/3 camera and lenses. From the pictures, the guy is holding a Kodak PIXPRO 400mm F6.7 telephoto lens, and in one of the pictures, it is also mounted on the camera. Seems interesting as this would be the longest native mount lens with autofocus for the m4/3 system. Hopefully its relatively cheap with decent results, and fast autofocus. Here is the link:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/kodak-pixpro-s1-micro-four-thirds-camera-hands-on-preview-24343

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It won't have autofocus, it is a modified field scope. Basically a faster version of those 500m f/8 lenses you can get for $150.

3. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Yea your right. They even wrote in the article that it is manual focus. Quite useless then. Oh well.

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If the quality and price are right, it could be worth having.

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Useful for moon shots though!

6. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Not only is this manual focus I saw no mention of being able to stop it down. While normally that is a given with spotting scopes it is not.

If this sort of thing interests you there is no need to wait for this lens. You can buy a scope, adapter and mount it to your camera today. Since the Kodak 400mm is manual everything the only difference is with an existing scope you have to buy an adapter. The most common scope used for this is the Celestron Skywatcher 80ED which makes a 600mm f7.5 lens and is sometimes used with a teleconverter. More information on the scopes and adapters can be found at http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194800 and example photos are at http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194789. The setup is MUCH larger and heavier than a mirror lens. But the sample photos do not have the washed out low contrast and doughnut bokeh of mirror lenses. In terms of cost the scope is about $650.

I have always had fascination with really long lenses going back to the early 70s when I took pictures by holding a Kodak 126 Instamatic to the lens of my inexpensive 60mm telescope and took pictures of the moon and terrestrial objects. As expected the results were really bad by today's standards but were good enough for a 13 year old on a limited budget. My friend up the street had a much better quality 80mm scope we started using instead. A couple of years later we both had cheap second hand SLRs and since the Pentax mount was a simple screw in design were able to make an adapter in metal shop. All of this led to dark rooms and a much broader interest in photography in general. While it has been decades since I have used anything longer than a 400mm in the film days or 300mm in the digital era I am still interested in this sort of thing. I am still trying to decide between an old manual focus SLR lens, a mirror lens or some sort of spotting scope but am planning to buy something in the next few months.