1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Possible filter solutions for UWA lenses....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by letsgofishing, Feb 16, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Found this great site that rreviews all Olympus Zuiko 35mm FF lenses... http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/indexzoom.htm - scroll down to see the full list...

Was looking at the 18mm UWA and saw thay had a innovative filter solution...the lens has a 49 dia filter thread to which you screw on a 49-72 adapter and then mount the filter. This lens has a 100 deg angle of view, so the same could be done for an 8mm m43lens... http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/18mm.htm

Also had a look at the 16mm full frame fisheye and saw that they built 3 optional filters into the lens... http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/fish16mm.htm

Was also amazed at how small and light these lenses were.

If only Oly/Pan/Others would adopt similar solutions today....

18mmf35side2.
    gries18mmA.
    16mmfishview.

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I was actually playing with a used 7-14 in the camera store today, Sadly the edge of my Lee Seven5 Grad filters show up at the very far edge of the lens at 7mm while handholding it in front. Maybe if I shaved off some of the top/bottom lens shade it would work? The straight ND filter worked if tilted to the side, but let in a lot of reflections, I'd need a way to stop light from getting in between the sides and the filter. I'd really like to get a UWA that at least took some form of ND or Grad ND, and I don't feel the 9-18 offers enough extra width when I already have the 12-35. I'll probably be selling my 9-18 soon.

3. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I would think that a rear filter solution would be the best way to solve the problem. That's what I did with my Rokinon 8mm fisheye lens.

4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    You could use a rear filter for a normal ND or maybe UV filter, but not for something like a graduated ND

5. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Could you elaborate on your 8mm filter?

I have thought about adding a gel filter holder from the Panasonic 8mm fisheye to the back of my 7.5mm (not uncommon on UWA lenses) but perhaps there are alternative solutions I have not considered?

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    This is the best solution I've seen to date.

8. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Filter holder for P 7-14

I made my own filter holder for the Panasonic 7-14.
    I used an original lens cap glued it into a 77 mm Cokin P lens adapter using 2 part epoxy.
    I then removed the "cap portion" of the cap on a lathe.
    There is no vignetting even at 7 mm when using the outermost slot in the Cokin P filter holder.
    The only mod needed to the lens itself is a strip of gaffer tape to compensate for the barrel diameter getting smaller towards the camera.
    Rudy
    _2170001-3. _2170003. _2170004. _2170005.

9. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Someone could probably make some bucks on this with a 3D printer.

10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    This is pretty much what I did with the same results. Best solution, I need the gel holder in the back of the 7-14mm for the yellow 2a to neutralize the purple blobs on my EM-5. heh.