Posing With Model Cars

Alpha Whiskey Photography

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Most of this is experimentation, as you might have deduced with each image containing myself. I started getting requests from people wanting to be in the actual image interacting with cars so I took it upon myself to try a few scenarios.

Yes, I realise that I’m certainly not the most photogenic subject but, alas, all my efforts to procure a beautiful woman in high heels to pose with toy cars proved futile. Can’t imagine why… So I had to use yours truly in various action-orientated positions.

The images of me were taken by my dear friend, Natalia, who is actually rather lovely but wanted to stay behind the camera and laugh at me. She shot me in front of a white wall in various predetermined angles and poses. I would then shoot the vehicles/scale models in the same relative positions so that everything could be easily lined up once they had been scaled to the appropriate and proportionate size.

The comically awkward rigidity in my poses is the result of trying to remain still during the slow shutter speeds that were commensurate with using the lowest possible ISO. Plus on occasion I had to puppet warp my legs and feet to match the level of the ground.

Obviously, having shot myself separately in different light, I had to colour and tone match myself to the vehicle shots. The most difficult part of the editing process was getting the shadows to look right, so that I didn’t look like I had been obviously pasted into the images. Not sure I completely succeeded but it’s getting there....
Shadows have three main components, the contact, ambient and directional and getting each right can be a little experimental in itself.

The cars were shot on my usual set-up with the backgrounds from my travels and light and smoke effects added in post. Some of the car shots were redundant images I had made with the models of previous clients and had in my archives, and some were my own models (e.g. the red Porsche).

Having just seen the trailer for the new Top Gun sequel I used some of my air show images to create that theme with a deliberate 80s look in some of the photos. (You better believe the Top Gun theme was playing during the editing.)

And knowing that nostalgia appeals to so many clients I also inserted myself into shots with KITT from Knight Rider and Airwolf, and also the Delorean from Back To The Future.

Not to be limited to just cars I had also borrowed the Alien model again from a previous client to make some interactive shots for myself. These will end up on printed on a gym towel :)

1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2.jpg
4.jpg
5a.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
8a.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
11a.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
17.jpg
17a.jpg
18.jpg

19.jpg

I created saliva strands and elongated the teeth with photoshop. I also added sweat to my face as I didn't have any at the time.
20.jpg

Pretty menacing for a 25cm model...

A fun little project but one that may enable me to expand the old portfolio and offer more choice to those clients who want to see themselves or their friends/family in the photo with a vehicle (or alien) that they really like. Either that or it gives you an opportunity to point the finger and laugh at me! (and I'm more than happy for you to do so! :p)

Cheers.
Alpha Whiskey.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom