1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

portraits

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by caimi, Dec 28, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    • Like Like x 3
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    somebody obviously got some new PP software for christmas :)

often less is more..... as soon as you are looking at the effect and not the picture you have gone too far!!!

just my thoughts

K

• Like Like x 1
  3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    New use of existing software. But thanks for your thoughts, Kevin. Look again. The effect is the image. Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Nice images, all.
    And nice effect.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    My first reaction was to agree with Kevin, but on further reflection and a second, third and fourth look I like them as they are. The different textures highlight the subjects in very interesting ways. Cool. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Caimi -I must think about these for a while. Unfortunately I'm approaching this style from a decades old, deeply ingrained biases against anything Giclée.

Image 5 is a knockout!

-Chrome

• Like Like x 1
  7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Chrome,

If by "giclee" you mean tacky, I take that as a compliment. I have achieved my goal. The idea is to get the viewer to see a picture of an individual, not an individual. Whether an animal or a human is depicted, it is still a two dimensional object you're looking at, not a person. In fact the inclusion of animal portraits is intended to further this idea along as well. The deliberate use of heavy handed (and possibly tacky) post processing software gets the viewer to consider what he is looking at rather than accept someone else's pre-ordained notion of what the image should be or what he should be seeing. As I said, the effect is the image. Kevin, above said, "Often less is more." I say, "Most often, less is just less."

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I've been a lot slow lately... I've got it now. #5 is still the knockout.

-C