Portrait session with Clouded leopard

Discussion in 'Nature' started by JohnMetsn, Mar 5, 2011.

1. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

At first he seemed to be a bit disturbed by my appearance and I guess he was a bit sleepy, but at the end he gave me some nice portrait look :smile: All pictures taken with Panny 45-200 with ISO 400, handheld with OIS on.

• Like Like x 9
  2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    How incredibly cute! I love the first two in particular. He looks like he's probably purring in the first shot.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Ondrej,

They're all very good, this one is fabulous! I maintain, the 45-200 is the best bargain in µ43!

I've seen all the "test pattern" shots, read all the blather, real world, for the price I love my 45-200.

Nice job!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Did you have special access?
    Is that a direct view unobscured by perspex?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for kind words. I totally agree with you. I have 45-200 for a few days (bought used from a kind member here), in fact these were my first shots with the lens, but I already love them. I would surely love to put my hands on 100-300 someday, but for the budget 45-200 are great lens :smile:

Thanks and unfortunately no. I had special access to a Siberian tiger once, but I didn't have a good camera with me that time :frown:

This one is taken through thick glass.
  6. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Beautiful shots of a gorgeous cat!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

You make me appreciate the 45-200 even more!

Terrific set of portraits. Next to last is my favorite.

I found number 3 a bit magenta - colors on the rest are great.

Were you shooting through glass?

• Like Like x 1
  8. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you very much :smile:

And you're absolutely right about the magenta. I was editing that picture in a bit different way, because I was happy that for a second he opened his eyes at me widely and I wanted that to come out from the picture. Also I'm still new to the Lightroom and editing all my pictures on 13" screen. So I somehow missed the color balance. But enough with excuses :wink: I did a different brighter edit, what do you think about it now? Gotta love RAW files :smile:

And yes, it was taken through glass.

• Like Like x 1
  9. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Huge improvement in the color of number 3.
    I don't have Lightroom, but open all my images in Adobe Camera Raw.

I did open that image in Camera Raw and used the eyedropper to click on the darker white fur on the chin and the color immediately corrected beautifully.

Shooting through glass is challenging because the contrast and saturation are cut down, and you also have reflections to deal with.
    You did a great job!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you, but don't flatter me much, I tend to get bigheaded pretty easily. I was just lucky this time and also amazed, how well this lens performs despite it's reviews. I also should read at least one guide to Lightroom, because right now I'm randomly finding new functions every day.
  11. Wlodek

Wlodek Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    BC, Canada
    Great results, especially considering the difficult shooting conditions.
    • Like Like x 1