Portrait manual lens for m4/3?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ismailfaruqi, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ismailfaruqi

ismailfaruqi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Hello all,

I'm looking for portrait lens for m4/3. I'm looking for a reasonably sharp lens, and capable of giving quite shallow bokeh from 3 meter at 90~135mm in full frame. I'm looking for lens that have similar characteristic with Minolta 135mm STF (Link 1, Link 2). As the 135mm STF is the perfect bokeh lens, I'm reasonably looking for the lens whose bokeh rendering close to the STF. After a bit research, my candidate is Contax Zeiss G 45mm f2, but I'm still open for any advices. I dont want to adapt STF because 270mm is too long for my portrait range.

Thank you :smile:

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i own the lens ......its the sharpest lens i own rivaled only by the contax g 90 2.8

cant say much about the bokeh , i confess i dont really notice it much until its aweful or distracting, the out of focus areas always seemed fine with it

i like the "bokeh" of the voigtlander 50 1.5 its also very good wide open , i use it alot

the lens that renders the "most".... "bokeh" which seems fine to me is my
    konica 58mm 1.2 ar a really fun lens to use but a little heavy

3. ismailfaruqi

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Do you have 45mm f2? What adapter do you use?

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    The old Minolta Rokkor lenses around 40 - 50mm would also be worth looking at, as would the Konica Hexanons. They are inexpensive.

Bokeh Diem

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    If you can find one for a sensible price, the Leica 50mm f2 Summicron M is a supeb performer on the GF1 and is a nice 100mm f2 equivalent!
    I have one that I use on both my Leica and on the GF1.

Here is an image I took with it, it was so sharp that I had to use some blur on it to soften it out!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    This is what the lens looks like on the camera:

[​IMG]

7. ismailfaruqi

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Hi, thanks for the advice. I have looked at Hexanon 50-60mm samples at Flickr... but frankly the only one that impressed me is 57mm 1.2. It's quite expensive though... so far, the lens that have bokeh characteristics I like are:

1. Sigma 50mm 1.4
    2. ZD 50mm f2 Macro
    3. Contax Zeiss 45mm f2

I also looked at FD 50mm f1.2 and the Hexanon above, but I'm still unsure...

8. ismailfaruqi

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Ian, thanks for the sample I will check it out on Flickr. How much is "sensible price"? :smile: I dont have any idea on Leica lenses price

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The world of leica has a strange concept of sensible when it comes to price :)

On the other hand a Contax 50/1.7 costs around 100 euros and is one of my favourites. This was shot on a Oly510, but should produce similar results with a micro 4/3 camera

K
    [​IMG]

10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Either the 40mm 1.8 or the 57mm 1.4 Hexanons are great performers and well worth the under $100.00 USD you would pay for either of them....

11. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I would vote AGAINST the Contax G 45/2......I have it and it is the SHARPEST lens I own.....great bokeh, but very sharp.

I find I no longer shoot people with it because I have to PP so much to tone down and smooth......it shows everything......not a great attribute for a portrait lens.

There are so many good inexpensive 50's around.....I would start off cheap and look at it as a journey with no particular goal in mind.

Two lenses that you can obtain for less than $100, that are very good, are the Konica Hexanon 50/1.7 or the SMC Takumar 50/1.4.......and there are many, many others.

• Like Like x 2
  12. richie15

richie15 Guest

If you are looking for headshots the CV 75mm is worth a try. Its razor sharp.

13. ismailfaruqi

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Thanks for $100 sleepers advice. I will keep eye on it, but if I find Contax 45mm with decent price I will take the plunge. Any advice for Contax G adapter?

14. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    This one is just coming on the market....lots of folks here (including myself) have ordered it. Supposedly starts shipping soon.

http://contaxgm43.wordpress.com/

15. ismailfaruqi

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Gee, early May... too late. What's the difference between RJ Contax adaptor? And why those adapters seems to have some ring in the side?

16. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the adapter i use is the rj adapter contax g to m4\3...... it uses a tiny wheel to turn the internal focus cam of the lens , i modified my eveready case with a gear from an old minolta rangefinder transmission used for parts to mesh with the tiny gear to roughly double focus speed

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. ismailfaruqi

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    can't we just turn the focus ring, like usual? Why the hassle for that tiny wheel?

18. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    what focus ring?, the g used internal af cams connected thru the camera mount

manual focus was by wire not by turning a ring , some new adapter has a ring ,, it seems

19. ismailfaruqi

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    what? so this lens has no manual focus ring?.... I see... I dont have any familiarity with Contax G system so pardon for my lack of knowledge :D

20. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    That's why for the quality of optic, they are still relatively reasonably priced.

Originally, you could ONLY shoot them on a Contax G1 or G2 film camera. Then the adapter guys started getting into it....there are at least 3 or 4 halfway decent iterations out there.....none perfect.

You might want to go with another adapted lens for portraiture first (other than the Contax G 45/2).....just a suggestion.

R