1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Portrait - love some CC

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by mikey, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mikey

mikey Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011
    This is a portrait I did and I've touched it up a bit... Feedback would be great?

Attached Files:

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Overall I like it. It's pleasant, but it's not WOW!

I don't mind the color treatment, but the lips come out a shade that is off to the rest of the picture.

When I blow it up, her head somehow looks out of proportion to the body. Not sure if it's the angle of the shot. Is this a crop? Do you have more of the pic, to try and adjust the crop in a different way? Also, I can't tell which way her body is facing. Is her chest going to the left or the right? That might be what's messing up my perspective of her head. The shirt has no detail, so you can't tell by the bust (or any other clue) which way she's facing). What if you cropped the picture square, near the neck line, and dropped the body?

I also find the dark hair nearest her neck a bit distracting. Almost likes she's wearing a wig. Maybe lighten/recolor in post?

I like the model, the look and the pose (aside from the head issue), and I don't mind the exposure or color treatment. Just the items above put me off a bit.

Hope that helps somehow, and it's just my opinion anyway. Perhaps someone else has a different view...

3. mikey

mikey Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011
    Her body is actually straight on which I have now read that that is not so good... Her lips, I did give them some punch.. Perhaps too much so lol...

Here is a square crop... Any different to you? The first image is the full image... Shrunk in size but not cropped.

Thx for the feedback @WT21 and for giving me different things to look at... In your opinion, what might give it a WOW?

Attached Files:

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like the 2nd crop better. I found the body distracting because it was difficult to read.

There's no context to the pose. No story. Beautiful lady, but she could use some context around here. The 2nd crop looks like an album cover of an R&B artist or something.

Do you have other pictures from a shoot, or was it just one snapshot?

5. mikey

mikey Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011
    Funny, she is actually a singer and the pics are for her album/website/social networking :)

Here are a few others from the day

Attached Files:

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In the series, I like the first one a lot -- the flash is a little hot on her face, so I'd try to bring it down a bit. The last three, she doesn't look incredibly comfortable, but I like the idea of the poses. The dream tat pic, She's trying to hard (it seems to me) to hold her finger straight. It would be just as effective bent.

The bike pic is nice. Did you do more of those?

The last one, she doesn't look comfortable enough.

The second is fine. I think your best three are the square crop and the first two in this set, and the bike one and dream one are great ideas, but might need to be reshot. The last one I wouldn't use. She doesn't seem comfortable.

But I'm just an amateur with an interest in portrait (and fashion/glam) shots. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

7. mikey

mikey Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011
    Thx for the feedback... And yes, others are welcome to critique as well... Of course :)